"The integrity of the game"

rhickok1109

"The integrity of the game"

Post by rhickok1109 »

A while back, I posted that Goodell's vendetta against Brady and the Patriots, which was supposed to safeguard the integrity of the game, was more likely to damage it; my reasoning was that if the Patriots lost a game because of questionable calls, every fan in New England would be convinced that Goodell had ordered his officials to make sure New England didn't win.

Well, it happened last night.
mwald

Re: "The integrity of the game"

Post by mwald »

rhickok1109 wrote:A while back, I posted that Goodell's vendetta against Brady and the Patriots, which was supposed to safeguard the integrity of the game, was more likely to damage it; my reasoning was that if the Patriots lost a game because of questionable calls, every fan in New England would be convinced that Goodell had ordered his officials to make sure New England didn't win.

Well, it happened last night.
Thinking it also may have had a little bit to do with Patriots' defense getting plowed on the ground.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

rhickok1109 wrote:
"...Well, it happened last night."

It certainly did.

But... the only ones whining are probably the fans.

There has not been a Patriots' outcry similar to the likes of "teardrops tomlin" and the rest.
Bellyache and his charges have been most noble thus far.

Nor has anyone produced a "Guilty" finding and those moronic accusers are becoming more and more silent.

There will be a good result of last evening's officiating fiasco: The Patsies will simply breeze through to another Super Bowl win
and Tom Terrific will wear another ring when he makes a fool of the goodfella at the March hearing(s.)

In the opinion of some, the officiating has been stinko all season and the far-too-frequent reviews are ridiculous.
There is no integrity to preserve.

It is, however, humorous to see some of the stupid raise their ugly heads...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

What the powers that be don't seem to realize in their silly attempts to increase offense and player safety is that the more rules they add, the more rules there are to break. This leads to more penalty calls, many of which are debatable or downright silly. I am so sick of illegal contact and hands to the face penalties...
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

oldecapecod11 wrote:rhickok1109 wrote:
"...Well, it happened last night."

It certainly did.

But... the only ones whining are probably the fans.

There has not been a Patriots' outcry similar to the likes of "teardrops tomlin" and the rest.
Bellyache and his charges have been most noble thus far.
The fans are the people who matter. If they doubt the integrity of the game, the NFL has a real public relations problem.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by JohnH19 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm
"What the powers that be don't seem to realize in their silly attempts to increase offense and player safety is that the more rules they add, the more rules there are to break..."

Attempts to increase player "safety" are not silly. It is the silly means by which they make those attempts that are ludicrous -
among these "pushing off" and the manner in which it is applied as a penalty.
Anyone who saw the call against Gronkowski has to agree - and, this is from a chair that cheers when the Patriots lose
(except to the faded and fading Giants, and now, to Buffalo also, which won't happen.)

---

by rhickok1109 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:23 pm
"The fans are the people who matter. If they doubt the integrity of the game, the NFL has a real public relations problem."

Perhaps the statement might have been better written as "probably Patriots' fans?"
And, it is likely their complaints are not spurred by a concern for integrity but more of a "you can't be us so you're out to get us" attitude?

It is sad to say but integrity is a rapidly diminishing quality in this world today and this world includes the NFL.
Were it not, you would hardly see the adulation showered on those who are little more than criminals or those
who father one illegitimate child after another and then fight to avoid support of that offspring.

Granted... the stigma of the bastard child has mostly faded.
We will never see the Blaine-like "Ma, Ma, Where's my Pa?" He's a quarterback. Ha! Ha! Ha!
But James G. was no innocent hero either (although he almost became a Yalie.)

So, if the NFL openly encourages idolatry of lawbreakers and defiers of the social and moral right, where is the integrity?
It is not there.
The blind eye of the public does not look for integrity - only the W-L record of their favorite team and chastise those officials
who are only doing as directed.

The NFL does have a real PR problem and it reaches far beyond the issue of integrity - of which, again, there is no indication.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Considering how the NFL now is partners with (What I see as obviously) gambling concerns, there seems far less concern anymore about the fixing of games. With some players on contracts that end when they are terminated and officials who maybe don't get paid millions, perhaps this should start being a concern.

They've been changing the rules vis a vis safety since at least the 1890s, and always football people complain or the press or fans....

Imagine if players were still allowed to link arms in front of a kick returner as he headed downfield, or there was no rule about poking fingers into the eyes of those across the line. Well, every one of those rule changes brought about similar critiques....
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Maybe I am turning into a grumpy old man, but this NFL season has been the least-compelling season I can remember. There just doesn't seem to be much entertainment value in either the storylines or, more importantly IMO, the games themselves. Its like the NFL has packaged "false action" and passed it off as great football. I had to endure the Steelers-Seahawks game, in which the announcers said it was probably the best game all year. Neither team could play defense...both QBs had huge days...lots of questionable calls and the instant replay usage was terrible...game took forever...Phil Simms announced (yeah, I hate Simms as an announcer -- one play had Richard Sherman shove Antonio Brown to the ground and then grab his first INT of the year; Simms' summation was "it looked like Antonio Brown tripped over his own feet")...and in the end neither team was eliminated from the playoff race because both conferences are terrible...this is the best the NFL has to offer?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bryan wrote:Maybe I am turning into a grumpy old man, but this NFL season has been the least-compelling season I can remember. There just doesn't seem to be much entertainment value in either the storylines or, more importantly IMO, the games themselves. Its like the NFL has packaged "false action" and passed it off as great football. I had to endure the Steelers-Seahawks game, in which the announcers said it was probably the best game all year. Neither team could play defense...both QBs had huge days...lots of questionable calls and the instant replay usage was terrible...game took forever...Phil Simms announced (yeah, I hate Simms as an announcer -- one play had Richard Sherman shove Antonio Brown to the ground and then grab his first INT of the year; Simms' summation was "it looked like Antonio Brown tripped over his own feet")...and in the end neither team was eliminated from the playoff race because both conferences are terrible...this is the best the NFL has to offer?
On the clinching play, the Steelers were criticized for bad tackling ability--never mond that they had gotten a key first down earlier in the quarter due to poor tackling ability from Seattle. :roll:
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:Its like the NFL has packaged "false action" and passed it off as great football.
I've said similar for the past few years but I like how you phrased it. I'll probably use that.
I had to endure the Steelers-Seahawks game, in which the announcers said it was probably the best game all year.
I'm indifferent to Simms (the announcer) but he was horrible during this game. It also featured rules 'expert' Mike Carey being wrong multiple times.
and in the end neither team was eliminated from the playoff race because both conferences are terrible...
This is another thing I've complained about for years but this year especially - as all my Seahawks fan friends were in panic mode and acting like the season was over (in a legitimate league structure they would be right) and I was sitting calm explaining that Seattle will be fine, in regards to being in the playoff race (not because of anything they do, but because of how the league is) ...