JohnTurney

Broncos only lost two 3rd round pick and $2 mil for 1996-98

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher

Re: Broncos only lost two 3rd round pick and $2 mil for 1996

Post by TodMaher »

JohnTurney wrote:http://yourteamcheats.com/DEN

deferred payments?
Not shocking. After the salary cap was imposed the some teams (teams like the 49ers who were willing to spend money to win) would often restructure contracts (Steve Young and Jerry Rice) in order to get under the cap each year.

In 2001 the 49ers were penalized a 5th-round pick in 2001 and a 3rd-rpund pick in 2002 and the Steelers a 3rd-round pick in 2001.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

TodMaher wrote:

deferred payments?
Not shocking. After the salary cap was imposed the some teams (teams like the 49ers who were willing to spend money to win) would often restructure contracts (Steve Young and Jerry Rice) in order to get under the cap each year.

In 2001 the 49ers were penalized a 5th-round pick in 2001 and a 3rd-rpund pick in 2002 and the Steelers a 3rd-round pick in 2001.
Oddly, Eddie D is in HOF and now, maybe Bowlen is getting in....
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Carmen Policy didn't get fined until he had already left the organization--and was with the "new" Browns.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:Carmen Policy didn't get fined until he had already left the organization--and was with the "new" Browns.
The shell game that Policy was playing with regards to the salary cap was so complex that it took a long time for outsiders to piece together and deconstruct all the side deals in order to build a case against him.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:
TodMaher wrote:

deferred payments?

Oddly, Eddie D is in HOF and now, maybe Bowlen is getting in....
Agreed it's a black eye on the resume of both owners, but the HoF apparently has been taking the "no character clause" to heart. Well, most of time, anyway. If Jim Tyrer and Alex Karras get in, we'll know the horse is fully out of the barn.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I don't see how you can compare Tyrer and Karras. When it comes to character, I assume you're referring to his suspension for gambling. I think Paul Hornung is a more apt comparison.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

conace21 wrote:I don't see how you can compare Tyrer and Karras. When it comes to character, I assume you're referring to his suspension for gambling. I think Paul Hornung is a more apt comparison.
I chose Tyrer and Karras because they seem to be the two major HoF omissions based on character issues.