Black Monday could be a massacre this year

7DnBrnc53

Re: Black Monday could be a massacre this year

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I don't think there's any way Mike Tomlin is let go. Even if the Steelers lose out, they would be 8-7-1, which is a non-losing season. Tomlin would still never had a losing campaign. The fans have been crying about Tomlin for years, that's just what they do. I don't think they appreciate the winning, maybe they would if the Steelers turned into an annual sub-.500 team.
If this team loses out, and they either miss the playoffs or go out in round 1, there is no doubt that Tomlin should be gone. The Steelers have been successful in spite of him, not because of him. Someone on TV said (I think it was Carolina WR Steve Smith) that Tomlin should keep his job because he has led the Steelers to the SB. That was eight years ago. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

I know that the Rooneys want stability (this is a trend that probably started with Noll). However, Noll earned longer grace periods. He won four SB's. Tomlin didn't, and Cowher didn't, either (Cowher was in Pittsburgh longer than he should have been. He should have been let go around 1999).
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'd be shocked if McDermott got let go.
Yea. He broke the playoff drought and is breaking in a new rookie QB. Not much talent on that roster. McDermott I think stays perhaps even for 2 more years. I give the Bills credit they always play hard for McDermott
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

sheajets wrote:
Yea. He broke the playoff drought and is breaking in a new rookie QB. Not much talent on that roster. McDermott I think stays perhaps even for 2 more years. I give the Bills credit they always play hard for McDermott
I think the deck was stacked against the Bills from the start of the 2018 season, as they were rated 31 (out of 32) in the NFL power rankings by the NFL Network show of the same name, despite the fact they went to the playoffs in 2017 and held Jacksonville to 10 points in the Wild Card game. The fact the Bills have gone 5-9 so far without their starting QB from 2017 is impressive. I don't know if McDermott will keep his job in Buffalo, but if I were a GM in the NFL looking for a head coach, I would definitely consider him.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

sheajets wrote:
McDermott isn't going anywhere. The only standout mistake he has made so far is keeping Nate Peterman as long as he did. I admit to liking Peterman as a rookie, but I am not paid to make those decisions. McDermott's mantra has been "trust the process," and so far, I think he has been proven right most of the time. He stays.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Gruden had his mandate when the Fourth Stooge hired him: screw Oakland, we're building for Vegas.

I think the record is 11 coaching changes due to firing or resigning, in 2008.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Does anybody think Dan Quinn might part ways with the Falcons?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Does anybody think Dan Quinn might part ways with the Falcons?
I kind of thought of that. Atl simply holding on in the 2nd-half two Februarys ago would have made a world of difference, I think. It seems like this was a case of a Super Bowl-hangover taking place two years later instead of one year later (delayed reaction) for they did return to the playoffs last year, beating Rams in LA then coming real close at Philly in the divisionals. They massively underachieved this year but I’d give Quinn another go at it for 2019. I thought he was a good hire and am still in that camp for now.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

There was speculation that Mike Zimmer was on the hot seat, with people questioning his focus on defense at the expense of offense, but that all disappeared with the firing of De Fillipo. Besides, Zimmer’s temperament suits Minnesota culture perfectly, where a great performance is seen as “not too bad,” and a terrible performance is “not too good.”
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

As a Packer fan, I'm wondering about Philbin. If they beat the Lions, they will have gone 3-1 under his leadership. I wonder if that might persuade Mark Murphy that he's the right man for the job.

I'd rather see them move on to someone new...but I'm wondering...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

rhickok1109 wrote:As a Packer fan, I'm wondering about Philbin. If they beat the Lions, they will have gone 3-1 under his leadership. I wonder if that might persuade Mark Murphy that he's the right man for the job.

I'd rather see them move on to someone new...but I'm wondering...
I don't think Philbin has a chance. The three wins (if) are all against crappy teams, two at home. The team did not look all that great against the Jets. I don't think Philbin is saleable to the fanbase going into next year.