Art Powell, Lionel Taylor for HOVG

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Art Powell, Lionel Taylor for HOVG

Post by bachslunch »

Two WRs not in yet, with honors:

Art Powell (5/4/allAFL)
Lionel Taylor (4/3/none)

Powell had a lot of lifetime TDs, while Taylor put up his numbers with arguably the worst collection of QBs ever throwing to him.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: Art Powell, Lionel Taylor for HOVG

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Both these guys are no-brainers. Powell's touchdown totals are unreal. Taylor looks like he was the first possession-type receiver in the game, but I expect his numbers are the product of the limitation of his teammates, rather than any kind of plan by the team. But as others have said, there's a pretty big backlog, and there may be an element of, "sure, great numbers, but it was only the AFL", particularly those first couple of seasons.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

No doubt Powell is a HOVG guy. At 6'3 and 210 he was probably a physical beast for that era (he would likely still be one today) and deadly in the red zone as his TD stats would indicate(wonder if he was used as a jump ball threat as we see today with a lot of the 6'3+ receivers). Shame the Jets couldn't hang on to him, would've been nice to see him work with Namath around 65/66

I also remember reading he ran into some legal troubles and spent time in jail, though I don't remember for what.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

sheajets wrote:No doubt Powell is a HOVG guy. At 6'3 and 210 he was probably a physical beast for that era (he would likely still be one today) and deadly in the red zone as his TD stats would indicate(wonder if he was used as a jump ball threat as we see today with a lot of the 6'3+ receivers). Shame the Jets couldn't hang on to him, would've been nice to see him work with Namath around 65/66

I also remember reading he ran into some legal troubles and spent time in jail, though I don't remember for what.
I don't recall any legal trouble for Powell, but he was known for being outspoken about Blacks receiving second-class treatment. Wikipedia lists him, Bo Roberson, Clem Daniels, and Fred Williamson boycotting an exhibition game against the Jets in Mobile, Alabama's Ladd Stadium because they had segregated seating.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

agree, both should get it. There is such a large pool of "very good" players, that it will take time.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sheajets wrote: I also remember reading he ran into some legal troubles and spent time in jail, though I don't remember for what.
Perhaps you're thinking of Warren Wells?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JuggernautJ wrote:
sheajets wrote: I also remember reading he ran into some legal troubles and spent time in jail, though I don't remember for what.
Perhaps you're thinking of Warren Wells?
Correct yes. Got them mixed up. Wells I believe went to jail and never played again (after a 900+ yard receiving season)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Both should have been elected already. Something I would also consider is that he was the WR Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers when Lynn Swann and John Stallworth came into the League. Later with the Rams (also as WR Coach) he also reached the Super Bowl, with youngsters Billy Waddy and Preston Dennard as the wide receivers.