For the record - XFLs all together, or...

Dusty Sloan

For the record - XFLs all together, or...

Post by Dusty Sloan »

This is the alternative football debate, probably just for me - are all versions of the XFL connected for historical purposes?

Is it all XFLs considered one, or is it XFL 2001 by itself and XFL 2020/2023- together?
65 toss power trap

Re: For the record - XFLs all together, or...

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Makes sense if we combine all the AFLs with the 1960s AFL. They are related only in name, so we don't. Even the short gap between 2020 and 2023 XFL shouldn't be closed, because the 2020 league completely went out of existence, and the 2023 league really only purchased the trademarks at fire-sale prices.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

65 toss power trap wrote:Makes sense if we combine all the AFLs with the 1960s AFL. They are related only in name, so we don't. Even the short gap between 2020 and 2023 XFL shouldn't be closed, because the 2020 league completely went out of existence, and the 2023 league really only purchased the trademarks at fire-sale prices.
Not as bad as the USFL now combining records with the real USFL. They were just hyping up Josh Love breaking Greg Landry's 1984 completion % record.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

XFL and USFL should each have called themselves by different names and left the past alone. Same with not having the same team names/uniforms.

My 'ideal' current spring football situation is having two separate eight-team, two-division leagues (4x4, 4x4) as already the case. But the rules should be exactly the same as NFL rules (no gimmicks)! Perhaps smaller-enough rosters to the point where coaches may have no choice but to play some players both-ways or even three-ways (60-minute-men). Wouldn't it be fun to see a star-RB/star-MLB and a star-RB/star-MLB from opposing teams constantly squaring off vs one another? Or two C/NTs, or two WRs/DBs, etc?

No inter-league play during the regular season. The only such game being a final game 'Super Bowl' between both league champs! A simple everyone playing their division foes twice and the other four teams just once to make it ten games. Also, only division-winners make the playoffs! Unless, like pre-'66, two teams tie with the same W/L/T record! Then the league championship games get pushed another week for the division tiebreaker. And if its more-than two teams tied (as what almost happened in '57), then push things yet another week for an added division semifinal-round! And no neutral site for this 'Super Bowl'; simply league champs taking turns hosting the event at their own stadium every year! Oh, and of course no overtime in the regular season!

But, of course, that's all fantasy.

But a (sad) reality that I'm witnessing as I'm now watching some of this Maulers@Breakers event...practically NOBODY in the stands!! And, also, the Maulers abandoning their different '80s colors and now wearing the same black-and-gold as the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: But a (sad) reality that I'm witnessing as I'm now watching some of this Maulers@Breakers event...practically NOBODY in the stands!! And, also, the Maulers abandoning their different '80s colors and now wearing the same black-and-gold as the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates.
You are paying attention to this season? For the love of mercy please if this version of the XFL folds no one try to bring it back for the fourth time.