TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

Ronfitch

Re: TCM football movies (Tue, Sep 5, 8pm ET)

Post by Ronfitch »

SixtiesFan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:39 am North Dallas Forty was released in August 1979. During the 1970s, along with announcing, Don Meredith had several acting roles. I read that Meredith was offered the Seth Maxwell role in the movie but turned it down. He said, "I was afraid people would think that character was me."

It was noted by some football writers that the QB as played by Mac Davis was more like Ken Stabler that Don Meredith. If someone had told Stabler the QB in the North Dallas Forty movie was like him I don't think it would have bothered Ken Stabler a bit.

I think Fred Biletnikoff trained Nick Nolte for his role as a wide receiver.

Meredith left Monday Night Football for three years (1974-76) during which he was in several NBC TV movies and did the main NBC game of the week with Curt Gowdy, which included Super Bowls IX and XI.

Alex Karras got his start in acting in the 1968 Paper Lion movie and had a acting career after he left football. Ironically, Karras replaced Meredith in the Monday Night booth during 1974-76. Meredith went back to Monday Night Football in 1977.
Biletnikoff did coach Nolte:

“But the NFL didn't take kindly to those who participated in the making of ‘North Dallas Forty.’ Hall of Famer Tom Fears, who advised on the movie's football action, had a scouting contract with three NFL teams -- all were canceled after the film opened, reported Leavy and Tony Kornheiser in a Sept. 6, 1979, Washington Post article. And the Raiders severed ties with Fred Biletnikoff, who coached Nolte. ‘Freddy was not even asked back to camp,’ writes Gent. Reamon, who played Delma, was cut by the 49ers after the film came out, and said he had been ‘blackballed.’

NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle denied any organized blacklist, but told The Post, ‘I can't say that some clubs in their own judgment (did not make) decisions based on many factors, including that they did not like the movie.’

“Reel Life: North Dallas Forty” by Jeff Merron, ESPN Page 2
http://www.espn.com/page2/s/closer/021101.html
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen