Jets-VS-Giants history

74_75_78_79_

Jets-VS-Giants history

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Both are playing next Sunday "at" NYG, so why not start a thread?

In their series history, the G-men thus far lead, 8-6-0. Three of the games went into OT.

Weirdly, there have only been FIVE years in which both made it to the playoffs...

1981, 1985, 1986, 2002, and 2006 - and that's IT!

Not only did both make the playoffs in the first year mentioned, '81, but it was the first time since the merger that either made it to the post-season! And, also, not just that, but both played against each other as well - in Week #9. NYJ, rallying from their 0-3 start, were 3-4-1 going in. They just lost at home to Seattle, as usual at the time (still ISO their first ever win over them). The week prior, the G-men crushed the 'Hawks in the Kingdome, 32-0! NYG was 5-3 going into this affair at the Meadowlands (and it wasn't technically a home-game for them; the Jets' stomping grounds were still at Shea).

Jets would beat them in a convincer, 26-7, and so would start their 7-1 run to the top (home) Wild Card spot! Perkins/rookie LT's Giants would also get in, but at 9-7. In addition to all just said, both played their WC games the same day. Despite beating their cross-conference rival as well as having a better record, they'd lose their WC game to Buffalo as the Giants, at Philly, would win theirs thus advance.

No, they did not play on the same day in '85 despite both being wildcards as in '81. Both were the home-team so one had to be played on Saturday (NE@NYJ) with the other on the following day (Sunday, SF@NYG).

In 2006, both did play on the same day. First Man-Genius & Co bowing to NE at Foxboro, 37-16, and then G-men playing at Philly just as they did in '81 - but losing this time, 20-13 (they finished 8-8).

And, of course, there was that certain pre-season game which led to a certain HC getting fired after losing thus not making it to the regular season! And this being one who led this team to multiple League Championship Games earlier on.

Takes?
SixtiesFan

Re: Jets-VS-Giants history

Post by SixtiesFan »

Allie Sherman was fired after losing badly the first Jet-Giant game ever in the 1969 preseason. This game was long awaited by Jet players. The Giants lost the rest of the exhibition games that year but it has always been said Sherman lost his job by losing to Joe Namath's Jets.

I've read and heard that even in Joe Namath's best years, the Giants had better TV ratings than the Jets.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

My favorite game in the rivalry was 1974 Week #9 at the Yale Bowl. Namath scored the game-tying TD on a 3-yard keeper (bad knees and all!) late in the 4th quarter) then won it with a 5-yard toss to Emerson Boozer in OT. I believe it was the first overtime game for both franchises.
racepug

Post by racepug »

SixtiesFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:43 am Allie Sherman was fired after losing badly the first Jet-Giant game ever in the 1969 preseason. This game was long awaited by Jet players. The Giants lost the rest of the exhibition games that year but it has always been said Sherman lost his job by losing to Joe Namath's Jets.

I've read and heard that even in Joe Namath's best years, the Giants had better TV ratings than the Jets.
There was an S.I. cover back in the '80s showing both Mark Gastineau and Lawrence Taylor and proclaiming that the Giants were and always had been the favored team in N.Y.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RRMarshall wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm My favorite game in the rivalry was 1974 Week #9 at the Yale Bowl. Namath scored the game-tying TD on a 3-yard keeper (bad knees and all!) late in the 4th quarter) then won it with a 5-yard toss to Emerson Boozer in OT. I believe it was the first overtime game for both franchises.
If I recall correctly the Giants had a rather notable overtime game in 1958...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 280nyg.htm
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Unread post by JuggernautJ » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:45 pm

RRMarshall wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm
My favorite game in the rivalry was 1974 Week #9 at the Yale Bowl. Namath scored the game-tying TD on a 3-yard keeper (bad knees and all!) late in the 4th quarter) then won it with a 5-yard toss to Emerson Boozer in OT. I believe it was the first overtime game for both franchises.
I should have clarified it was the first Regular Season overtime with the new OT rule. But good catch...
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

JuggernautJ wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:45 pm
RRMarshall wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm My favorite game in the rivalry was 1974 Week #9 at the Yale Bowl. Namath scored the game-tying TD on a 3-yard keeper (bad knees and all!) late in the 4th quarter) then won it with a 5-yard toss to Emerson Boozer in OT. I believe it was the first overtime game for both franchises.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 280nyg.htm
Here's a link to THE first ever overtime game played in the NFL. A 1955 exhibition ("Pre-season", if you must...) game at Multnomah Stadium in Portland OR between the Los Angeles Rams and the New York Giants.

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/201 ... t-with-ot/
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

There was a time in the 80s that the "other" #56 in NY (Lance Mehl) was playing at a Pro Bowl level, and it was showcased in ESPN.

IIRC in 1988 they met in the last game of the season, and the Jets knocked out the Giants out of the playoffs.

It will be interesting to list players who have played for both franchises. I remember off the top of my head P Dave Jennings and C Joe Fields in the 80s, and a few years ago WR Brandon Marshall. And of course WR Don Maynard.
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

They've had some memorable moments in recent years, too. I think it was 2007 where the game came down to a field goal with :00 left in overtime? [Edit: Nope, 2003.] And then 2011 had Victor Cruz's 99-yd reception that turned around that game and got the Giants to 8-7, and of course they won the Super Bowl. That one in the seventies that went to overtime takes the cake, though.

This thread begs for this image:
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

A memorable game...bad game but memorably bad. Terrible rain + injuries (Giants to Waller and Taylor, Jets basically had no center and Zach Wilson) made this a sloppy disaster. Wilson made a few plays finally to take advantage of the gifts the Giants gave him...but most other QB's, competent ones, would've had their team comfortably ahead by that point.