"New" Hail Mary footage

Bryan

"New" Hail Mary footage

Post by Bryan »

I recently watched an enhanced super slo-mo version of the Hail Mary pass. The original footage is the NFL Films endzone camera shot of the play. I saw something in the slo-mo version that I never realized had happened...after the ball is thrown, Nate Wright is running alongside Drew Pearson. At the 20 yard line, Wright turns to look at where Pearson is and momentarily loses track of the ball. Not seeing that its underthrown, Wright continues running while Pearson slows down. At the 10 yard line, Wright's right foot clips the back of Pearson's left leg, causing Wright to stumble forward. This is the part that I never realized but is apparent on the video...as Wright is flailing and Pearson is reaching his hands out for the ball, the ball never touches Pearson's hands because its too underthrown. Instead, it ricochets off of the back of Wright's left leg and deflects into Pearson's right hip, where Pearson quickly pins it to his side with his elbow. This incredible play is seemingly even more incredible in slo-mo.
sheajets

Re: "New" Hail Mary footage

Post by sheajets »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpHNK2GJpPY

Here it is if anyone wants to check it out

Yea I never know that ball...looks like it goes off Wright's left hip as he's airborn
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Divine intervention. But it appears that at that moment God was simply flipping a coin.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I still want to know who threw the orange on the field after the play. Everyone watching on TV thought it was a penalty flag!
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Yep. It's been established previously, but never made more clear: It was a fantastically lucky play, but not the least bit illegal.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Would be cool to see a super slow-mo of his catch on the sideline two plays before on 4th and 17. It was ruled a forceout but one of the best catches I have ever seen, which enabled the "Hail Mary".
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

RRMarshall wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:01 pm I still want to know who threw the orange on the field after the play. Everyone watching on TV thought it was a penalty flag!
There was also a liquor bottle thrown from the stands that knocked out an official once Minnesota got the ball back. Not sure if that guy was ever identified either
lehotskys80

Post by lehotskys80 »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:26 pm Would be cool to see a super slow-mo of his catch on the sideline two plays before on 4th and 17. It was ruled a forceout but one of the best catches I have ever seen, which enabled the "Hail Mary".
The amazing thing was Pearson actually got both feet in bounds, even though the officials ruled the Viking player pushing him out made the catch legal. It was legal all along.

https://youtu.be/_R9SOI-nt_A?t=233
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

The all-22 gives good view of the pump fake to Staubach's left and Krause going that way just a bit
and not make a play on the ball to his left (Staubach's right)
but since the route was so far outside the numbers he probably wouldn't have been able to get there
anyway... but hard to say for sure ... if ball was closer to numbers then probably would have been picked
or knocked down with the arc on the throw ...

it was a crazy sequence of plays .
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:26 pm Would be cool to see a super slow-mo of his catch on the sideline two plays before on 4th and 17. It was ruled a forceout but one of the best catches I have ever seen, which enabled the "Hail Mary".
Not to mention the security guard who tried to kick Pearson after the catch. :o

After the Hail Mary, Pearson threw the ball out of the stadium. It was auctioned off a few years ago.