Mount Rushmore of NFL(-ish) Video Games

JWL

Re: Mount Rushmore of NFL(-ish) Video Games

Post by JWL »

JohnH19 wrote:
NWebster wrote:Paper and cards. I loved Stats Pro Football by Avalon Hill.
I'm also a board game guy. Off the top of my head, I have APBA, Strat-O-Matic, Statis Pro, TSG1, T.H.E., Paydirt/SI Pro Football, Fran Tarkenton's Game/Vince Lombardi's Game/Be A Pro Quarterback (different editions of the same game but the Tark game had beautiful much higher quality components), Canadian Pro Football, 21-Zip, and Booth's Pro Conference in my collection...not to mention multiple seasons of most.

My friends and I replayed the full 1972, 73 and 74 seasons on Vince Lombardi's Game back in the day. A simple, but mostly realistic, game that played smoothly. It was somewhat similar to Paydirt except you had 23 offensive plays and 8 defensive calls to choose from, rather than only 9 and 6.

The 23 offensive plays were broken down to inside and outside runs, draw plays, screen passes, and short, medium and long passes, each to individual running back and receiver positions. Each player on every team was rated in the advanced version but I preferred the intermediate version where I would rate each team's effectiveness on each individual play. The play rating was usually 6 (weak), 7 (average), or 8 (strong). The intermediate version of the game gave each team's defense one overall rating, again usually 6, 7, or 8, but I split the rating into effectiveness against the run and pass so a team strong against the run but weak against the pass would have an 8/6 rating. The offensive play rating would compare to the applicable defense rating on each play to see if an up or down adjustment of the dice roll is required and the defensive call impacts the level of success the offensive play can have.

Games only took about an hour which is pretty quick for a board football game. Thankfully, I still have the records of all of the game scores from the three seasons. After 40+ years I can still remember playing a few of the more memorable games with fantastic finishes when I see the scores.

I didn't even know about these games in the 1980s except maybe Strat-O-Matic which was advertised in the yearly season preview magazines. I think this was good as I usually would rather do something outside.

I may have had electric football one time. It was a terrible game. I noted that I may have had it. It was either that I played it one time at someone else's house and realized it sucked and I never asked for it or I was given it as a gift and played it once and then put it in my basement or closet to accompany other colossal waste of time toys and games.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I may have had electric football one time. It was a terrible game. I noted that I may have had it. It was either that I played it one time at someone else's house and realized it sucked and I never asked for it or I was given it as a gift and played it once and then put it in my basement or closet to accompany other colossal waste of time toys and games.
I hated it too. You couldn't control the players. The electricity just sort of randomly moved them around. A friend of mine had it and he always wanted to play.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I hated it too. You couldn't control the players. The electricity just sort of randomly moved them around. A friend of mine had it and he always wanted to play.

And back in the day, electricity was not as cheap as it is now (relative to total income) My dad was one of those who'd go around and shut of lights, etc. Anyway, there were times we had to play by tapping the metal to make the guys move. Sometimes it was because we had to go outside because it was a noisy game . . . tap, tap, tap and if you tapped to hard the guys would fall down.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Wasn't Tecmo Super Bowl the very first game where you could play a full seasons schedule and stats were kept? As far as I know all games before that just allowed tournament play but no seasonal play was available.
Mark Durr

Post by Mark Durr »

lastcat3 wrote:Wasn't Tecmo Super Bowl the very first game where you could play a full seasons schedule and stats were kept? As far as I know all games before that just allowed tournament play but no seasonal play was available.
That's right -- the game cartridge had a small watch battery inside that saved season stats even when the cartridge wasn't loaded into the console.
Last edited by Mark Durr on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

lastcat3 wrote:Wasn't Tecmo Super Bowl the very first game where you could play a full seasons schedule and stats were kept? As far as I know all games before that just allowed tournament play but no seasonal play was available.
Tecmo was the first popular game to have a 'real' season mode...but I spent many hours in the luxurious Super Sunday GM Office keeping track of seasonal stats...can I interest you in a cigarette?

lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Mark Durr wrote:
That's right -- the game cartridge had a small watch battery inside that saved season stats even when the cartridge wasn't loaded into the console.
The game including that was pretty revolutionary for the time. You could pretty much count on the 49ers or Giants (on rare occasions the Bears) being the best teams in the NFC and the Bills and Oilers being the best in the AFC. Never got boring seeing those stats pile up though.
bquinn

Post by bquinn »

Played many games of Strategy as well. Fun game. Anyone else rub their fingers to the bone flicking that little bead?
JohnBowen

Post by JohnBowen »

Along the board game lines:
*SPI Football was the first I ever played. I just got a copy off of internet and think it was incredibly underrated. I just wish there was more updated teams.
*Strat Football is a main stay in my gaming rotation
*Football Strategy by Avalon Hill/Sports Illustrated is one I never played until about 15 years ago (about 20 years or so after it was no longer published). Classic, simple and will always be TIMELESS but still very challenging.
*APBA Football is great for solo play, but takes a bit of time

That's my four......so many, though!