Mount Rushmore of NFL(-ish) Video Games

ChrisBabcock

Re: Mount Rushmore of NFL(-ish) Video Games

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I thought there was a thread for board games around here but all I could find was this one.

I’m a bit of a board game geek. There’s been a bit of a revolution in really great board games the last decade or so. A lot more complex and interesting stuff than roll the dice, move your pawn. (Stone Age, Settlers of Catan, Alhambra, Akrotiri, Ticket To Ride, Airlines Europe are some of my favorites) I know football themed games have existed over the years but the ones I’ve tried have been dumb and/or unrealistic. I just stumbled upon 1st And Goal though and it seems interesting. There’s a description, some review videos and how to play videos here...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/95105/1st-goal

So have any of you played this and if so what do you think? From what I see I like it a lot. I just put it on my Amazon wish list. :) The only flaw I see is there doesn’t seem to be a way for the defense to adjust on the fly before a play, as in actual football. In this game, if you’re on defense you have to commit to a formation based on what you think the offense MIGHT do on that particular play. And that’s it. So its basically just guessing and bluffing. But the interaction between the offense and defense cards is interesting and fairly realistic. For example if I call an off tackle run, and you’re in a prevent defense, I’m almost guaranteed to get a decent gain.

If I get this for my birthday or Christmas maybe I’ll bring it to our western NY PFRA meeting next April and we can give it a whirl. :)