If the Hall opened today...

JeffreyMiller

Re: If the Hall opened today...

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bryan wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:Very true! I think now with the younger generation and some of them who think that anything old--or pre-ESPN or NFL Network--is either invalid or simply not worthy, many of the players from 1920 through 1970 would be shut out. Red Badgro, Wayne Millner, Joe Guyon, Dan Fortmann, Greasy Neale ... who are these guys?
Shutting out Guyon and Millner wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO.

Point made.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Unitas isn’t on Tanks or Rupert’s lists? Johnny’s a no-brainer, isn’t he?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnH19 wrote:Unitas isn’t on Tanks or Rupert’s lists? Johnny’s a no-brainer, isn’t he?
I didn't have Lombardi either.

My rationale was to try to get in two guys for each position if possible, along with two people related to the formation of the game (I counted Halas as a coach). Two QB's, two RB's, two WR's, one OL (I removed Munoz for Hunt), two DL, two LB and one DB, and two coaches. I also tried to fit in two guys per decade, as best I could. If I would have had two more choices I would have went for Munoz and another defensive back (any suggestions?) just to balance things out, and to make it an even twenty I would have chosen either Lombardi or Tom Landry, probably Landry because of his innovation.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I did QBs first and stopped when I hit 3 - Unitas would have been my 4th. It's an impossible task - when I was out walking yesterday, I thought of Lombardi as a coach, but when I originally made the list, I remember cutting Hubbard and Lott (Rupert, he'd be my suggestion for another DB) and probably a few more, so I decided to go players only. I like Paul Brown on Rupert's list - I thought of Lombardi and Halas first, but now I'm leaning toward's Brown if I had to chose one coach.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I did QBs first and stopped when I hit 3 - Unitas would have been my 4th. It's an impossible task - when I was out walking yesterday, I thought of Lombardi as a coach, but when I originally made the list, I remember cutting Hubbard and Lott (Rupert, he'd be my suggestion for another DB) and probably a few more, so I decided to go players only. I like Paul Brown on Rupert's list - I thought of Lombardi and Halas first, but now I'm leaning toward's Brown if I had to chose one coach.
Choosing Halas covers his contributions in setting up the NFL, and Brown was a great innovator and hugely successful coach. Lombardi was a great coach, but was more of a motivator. Brown influenced the game for generations with the players who played for him who became coaches, not to mention the techniques he developed that modernized the game. Lombardi was a hugely successful coach, and I think Brown's record in Cleveland in the 50's, even if you dock him a little for his four AAFC titles as the league as a whole was not generally up to par with the NFL, looks nearly as good.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

As far as the actual timing for the real life HOF, it was perfect. A number of the patriarchs were still with us, and the focus on the game was maturing with better coverage and Tex Maule's work. I will stay away from the 1958 NFL Championship, enough about that game!
TanksAndSpartans

It was a little late for me. I have no idea what the average age of HOF voters was, but say it was 45. That average person would have been born in '18, a little young to have watched any football in the 20s let alone back to '15 when Thorpe started. I think '50 would have been a good year - about 35 to 40 years of (mature or maturing) pro football to look back on - maybe Peggy Parratt gets in, some Nessers - players like that. In '63, Jack Cusack was 73 - I suspect not much voting was done by that demographic - knock 13 years off and maybe some 60 year olds would have been around to say I remember so and so - he should be in. All speculation on my part.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I would avoid trying to simply put in the best players, and instead put in people who nebulously had the greatest impact on the NFL.

Joe Carr
Jim Thorpe
George Halas
Curly Lambeau
Tim Mara
Red Grange
Paul Brown
Lamar Hunt
Al Davis
Joe Namath
Pete Rozelle
Wellington Mara
Dan Rooney
Ed Sabol
Steve Sabol
TanksAndSpartans

Bryan wrote:I would avoid trying to simply put in the best players, and instead put in people who nebulously had the greatest impact on the NFL.
That's the complete opposite of what I did, but definitely a good way to look at it and a good list. What about Jack Cusack? If he doesn't sign Thorpe....

Namath's rookie football card is arguably the most popular/desired/2nd most valuable vintage card - I've never understood it, but definitely shows the sentiment of his importance.

Skip to the 1:30 mark of the first video http://www.profootballhof.com/card-collection/
Moran

Post by Moran »

Having read some of the PFRA publications about the early years of professional football, I think the HOF should have some pre-NFL pioneers.