Senior nominee tomorrow, Contributors next week

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Re: Senior nominee tomorrow, Contributors next week

Post by Gary Najman »

Halas Hall wrote:As a Cowboy fan, I agree that Gil Brandt should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Here are the solid players Brandt drafted from these eleven drafts 1978-1988:

1978 - Todd Christensen (Raiders), Dennis Thurman

1979 - Doug Cosbie, Ron Springs, Bruce Thornton, Garry Cobb (Eagles)

1980 - Kurt Petersen, Gary Hogeboom, Tim Newsome

1981 - Mike Wilson (49ers), Glenn Titensor, Ron Fellows

1982 - Phil Pozderac

1983 - Jim Jeffcoat, Mike Walter (49ers)

1984 - Steve DeOssie

1985 - Crawford Ker, Herschel Walker

1986 - Mike Sherrard, Thornton Chandler

1987 - Jeff Zimmerman, Kelvin Martin, Kevin Gogan

1988 - Mike Irvin, Ken Norton, Chad Hennings

To be fair, there were some great free agent signings (Downs, Walls, Tunei), but these are not Hall of Fame drafts.

Landry winning the Division title in 1985 was a testament to his coaching, and Jimmy Johnson deserves a lot of credit for the 1992 and 1993 Super Bowls.
I am still surprised after all those years why Herschel Walker wasn't picked the year before by any team, even in the 1984 Supplemental Draft for USFL players. I don't know why all the other 27 NFL teams didn't realize to invest a lower round pick in Walker. By the way, in 1984 the Cowboys laso drafted Eugene Lockhart and Steve Pelluer (interestingly, three years before his brother Scott Pelluer was also drafted by Dallas, but he ended playing for New Orleans.

It's ironic that the former USFL player who had the best career with the Cowboys was Nate Newton, who was also a free agent in the NFL and was cut before by other teams.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Valid points. I think the good stuff from 1965-77 or so will carry him through. But his career is a mixed bag. Ermal Allen was the brains behind that crew. He and Buck Kilroy. Byut Kilroy took Dallas system to Boston, so there is that.

But get used to it, I think Brandt will be one of the picks and both picks will get in next Feb.

Halas Hall wrote:As a Cowboy fan, I agree that Gil Brandt should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Here are the solid players Brandt drafted from these eleven drafts 1978-1988:

1978 - Todd Christensen (Raiders), Dennis Thurman

1979 - Doug Cosbie, Ron Springs, Bruce Thornton, Garry Cobb (Eagles)

1980 - Kurt Petersen, Gary Hogeboom, Tim Newsome

1981 - Mike Wilson (49ers), Glenn Titensor, Ron Fellows

1982 - Phil Pozderac

1983 - Jim Jeffcoat, Mike Walter (49ers)

1984 - Steve DeOssie

1985 - Crawford Ker, Herschel Walker

1986 - Mike Sherrard, Thornton Chandler

1987 - Jeff Zimmerman, Kelvin Martin, Kevin Gogan

1988 - Mike Irvin, Ken Norton, Chad Hennings

To be fair, there were some great free agent signings (Downs, Walls, Tunei), but these are not Hall of Fame drafts.

Landry winning the Division title in 1985 was a testament to his coaching, and Jimmy Johnson deserves a lot of credit for the 1992 and 1993 Super Bowls.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bowlen and Brandt.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Reaser wrote:Bowlen and Brandt.
It's ironic that someone that has an award named after him and the official GameDay Center (Art McNally) maybe never have the chance to even be a finalist for the Hall. I believe the commitee (Peter King?) needs to have more candidates' research or we'll see Paul Tagliabue each year, only to be rejected again and again.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Teo wrote: It's ironic that someone that has an award named after him and the official GameDay Center (Art McNally) maybe never have the chance to even be a finalist for the Hall. I believe the committee (Peter King?) needs to have more candidates' research or we'll see Paul Tagliabue each year, only to be rejected again and again.
I think he has a shot. . . my guess is George Young next year and then when there are two methinks McNally has fair shot at being one of the two, but putting these modern owners in is what is getting in the way.

Saying Owner A was on umpteen committees and that the game wouldn't be what it is today without him is bullcrap. Or Owner B served on the world's most important committee and his team won this and that is also bullcrap.

They are not like a Lamar Hunt who built something from nothing. These recent guys bought something and then, yes, helped it grow. But that's the stuff of the business Hall of Fame or even the Sports Business HOF but the Pro Football HOF? Really?

What happened, in my opinion, is the NFL owners dumped a bunch of money into Canton and got guys like Jones and Bowlen on the Board of Trustees for the HOF and lo and behold there is a contributor category added and that the modern owners (not Modell or Rosenbloom) jumped to the head of the line. It's called quid pro quo—buying your way in.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote:
Teo wrote: It's ironic that someone that has an award named after him and the official GameDay Center (Art McNally) maybe never have the chance to even be a finalist for the Hall. I believe the committee (Peter King?) needs to have more candidates' research or we'll see Paul Tagliabue each year, only to be rejected again and again.
I think he has a shot. . . my guess is George Young next year and then when there are two methinks McNally has fair shot at being one of the two, but putting these modern owners in is what is getting in the way.

Saying Owner A was on umpteen committees and that the game wouldn't be what it is today without him is bullcrap. Or Owner B served on the world's most important committee and his team won this and that is also bullcrap.

They are not like a Lamar Hunt who built something from nothing. These recent guys bought something and then, yes, helped it grow. But that's the stuff of the business Hall of Fame or even the Sports Business HOF but the Pro Football HOF? Really?

What happened, in my opinion, is the NFL owners dumped a bunch of money into Canton and got guys like Jones and Bowlen on the Board of Trustees for the HOF and lo and behold there is a contributor category added and that the modern owners (not Modell or Rosenbloom) jumped to the head of the line. It's called quid pro quo—buying your way in.
i respectfully disagree with you about the owners buying their way into the hof and the owner a and owner b nonsense but i do agree on george young
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: i respectfully disagree with you about the owners buying their way into the hof and the owner a and owner b nonsense but i do agree on george young
People are free to disagree. I have my beliefs and reasons and info that have convinced me. DeBartolo, Jones, Bowlen, even Kraft, and others...IMO bought their way in. No big money not slots on Board of Directors. No spot on Board, no separate contributor category. Not special category, no way do they get in.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnTurney wrote:People are free to disagree. I have my beliefs and reasons and info that have convinced me. DeBartolo, Jones, Bowlen, even Kraft, and others...IMO bought their way in. No big money not slots on Board of Directors. No spot on Board, no separate contributor category. Not special category, no way do they get in.
Yup. Maybe not 100% but close enough to how I see it and in my opinion, how it is.

The committee stuff always gets me, too. Which I've posted about in the past.

It's almost equal to puff pieces about Goodell defending him with hyping up how he's "grown the game", as if he raised it from the depths of an unknown niche sport. Or like when a voter is presenting a player 'in the room' and says a position (that long existed) was created for just for him or that he "changed the game" while proceeding to bring up something that existed before the player was even in the league.

"He created Sunday Night Football!" ... Welp, there you have it, football wasn't played on Sunday's before he came up with it, oh wait. Well it wasn't played in primetime, oh wait. Wasn't played on Sunday nights, oh wait. Well it wasn't NBC SNF and he singlehandedly created NBC, oh wait. Well it was his idea and he went to NBC with the SNF idea, oh wait. Well he singlehandly with no approval or input from anyone else got SNF on NBC, oh wait. And so on ... Even if we want to inaccurately give full credit, whoop-de-doo. Eventually SNF was going to move from cable to network anyway, no one was splitting any atoms on that idea/deal. As with most "he was on the [whatever] committee!" ideas/deals in modern times. Pretty basic business.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnTurney wrote:

Does Carroll Rosenbloom have a chance to be in the HOF as a contributor?
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Retro Rider wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote: Joe Thomas ordered that the historical records of the San Francisco 49ers be destroyed when he took the helm as, apparently, before him there was no 49ers history.
As historians that should be anathema to us and it is to me.

I would be very, very, very disappointed in the Hall of Fame if they ever elected that... person.
I don't want to sink into hyperbole here but such an election would really (really, really) devalue the Hall of Fame for me. I'm not sure I would ever visit it again while his bust sullied the Hall.
And I am not sure I would ever again take seriously any historical opinion from anyone who would vote to enshrine such a reprobate.

On a happier note, I am overjoyed Johnny Robinson is the senior nominee.
I sincerely hope he is enshrined in Canton.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... biJo00.htm
I'm not a Joe Thomas fan either. I remember watching a Lost Treasures episode with John Brodie and he briefly mentioned what Thomas had done to the 49er's archives back in the '70's. You could tell that Brodie did not like Thomas. I also recall Colts linebacker Mike Curtis calling Thomas a jerk back in the '70's ...

After a knee injury sidelined Curtis for most of the 1975 season, he was left unprotected for the 1976 NFL Expansion Draft due to a personality conflict with general manager Joe Thomas. "I heard indirectly that I was in the expansion draft because Joe Thomas hated my guts," Curtis said. "Thomas could have had a first-round draft choice or better for me if he had wanted it." The move was made despite the objections of head coach Ted Marchibroda.

https://gatorrick15.wixsite.com/bmoresportsnest/mad-dog

The only other time that I remember hearing about a front office executive or owner destroying historical property of a professional football team was when Nelson Skalbania had most of the Montreal Alouettes artifacts thrown into dumpsters after he filed for bankruptcy in 1982. I won't count the Broncos public burning of their verticle striped socks in '62 or Hank Stram burning game film after the Saints lost to Tampa Bay in 1977.

Very happy to hear about Johnny Robinson getting the Senior's nomination. Long overdue!
I'm certain Harold Ballard must've done some things like that as owner of the leafs. I remember hearing he threw Foster Hewitt's famous broadcasting gondola in the MLG incinerator. Nothing was off limits for him to tarnish or destroy