Alex, Joe, & the hidden clues

JohnR

Alex, Joe, & the hidden clues

Post by JohnR »

Alex Smith breaks his leg on 11/18/18, 33 years TO THE DAY after Joe Theisman's career is ended with the same injury. Thirty-three...that triangulates nicely, a significant number in Redskins QB lore. Father (Baugh), son (Theisman), & holy ghost (Doug Williams...who is missing from this equation). Now lets turn to the new testament, Mark 11:18- "The CHIEF priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching." The CHIEFS traded away Alex because "they feared him". Alex had to take the blame for he was not getting them to the promised land (as Sammy Had, as Joe had, as Doug had). He HAD to be traded to Washington to fulfill the prophecy. Dan Brown, are you listening??????
ChrisBabcock

Re: Alex, Joe, & the hidden clues

Post by ChrisBabcock »

:shock:
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

JohnR wrote:Alex Smith breaks his leg on 11/18/18, 33 years TO THE DAY after Joe Theisman's career is ended with the same injury. Thirty-three...that triangulates nicely, a significant number in Redskins QB lore. Father (Baugh), son (Theisman), & holy ghost (Doug Williams...who is missing from this equation). Now lets turn to the new testament, Mark 11:18- "The CHIEF priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching." The CHIEFS traded away Alex because "they feared him". Alex had to take the blame for he was not getting them to the promised land (as Sammy Had, as Joe had, as Doug had). He HAD to be traded to Washington to fulfill the prophecy. Dan Brown, are you listening??????
I'll never forget that game 33 years ago, it was a school night and I was supposed to be in bed but instead snuck into the basement to watch on a tiny TV. Might the Theisman injury have been the most "famous" football injury of all time? Not most important, gruesome, or even surprising. But on Monday Night Football, with two Championship caliber teams in a late-season game, caused by the best Defensive Player in the game, and at a time when replay made it possible for EVERYONE to see it - I think it may well be. Are there other contenders? Krumrie in the Super Bowl, Gifford after Concrete Charlie's hit, Len Ford after Pat Harder's slug, etc.?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

NWebster wrote:
JohnR wrote:Alex Smith breaks his leg on 11/18/18, 33 years TO THE DAY after Joe Theisman's career is ended with the same injury. Thirty-three...that triangulates nicely, a significant number in Redskins QB lore. Father (Baugh), son (Theisman), & holy ghost (Doug Williams...who is missing from this equation). Now lets turn to the new testament, Mark 11:18- "The CHIEF priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching." The CHIEFS traded away Alex because "they feared him". Alex had to take the blame for he was not getting them to the promised land (as Sammy Had, as Joe had, as Doug had). He HAD to be traded to Washington to fulfill the prophecy. Dan Brown, are you listening??????
I'll never forget that game 33 years ago, it was a school night and I was supposed to be in bed but instead snuck into the basement to watch on a tiny TV. Might the Theisman injury have been the most "famous" football injury of all time? Not most important, gruesome, or even surprising. But on Monday Night Football, with two Championship caliber teams in a late-season game, caused by the best Defensive Player in the game, and at a time when replay made it possible for EVERYONE to see it - I think it may well be. Are there other contenders? Krumrie in the Super Bowl, Gifford after Concrete Charlie's hit, Len Ford after Pat Harder's slug, etc.?
Napolean McCallom …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_i9moS90E
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

NWebster wrote:
I think the Theismann hit was the most famous football injury of all time. At the time, Joe Thiesmann was pretty well known by those who didn't follow football, as he did a lot of commercials and was dating Kathy Lee Crosby, a TV star; he was pretty much a name and face everybody knew. The Theismann injury happened on Monday Night Football, which was still event television at the time, and the video of the injury was replayed incessantly on every local newscast the following day so that everybody in America who had a television had seen the injury and were talking about it the next day. It was different in that we the public had never seen a live injury quite like that before in the sports television era, with the camera angles showing the leg bones snapping, and we all knew immediately that Theismann's career was over.

The Gifford injury, while devastating, was not as graphic in that you didn't see bones breaking in slow motion, but, like Theismann, Frank Gifford was very famous nationally at the time. The Krumrie injury in the Super Bowl was very graphic, but nobody knew who he was before the injury occurred, and two days after the injury, 99 percent of the population had already forgotten the guys name and were just talking about the drive Montana pulled off to win the game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

There's Marchetti watching the end of the '58 title game propped up on a stretcher.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Brilliant.

I posted this last week

Sick minds think alike
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote::shock:
LOL!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Rupert Patrick wrote: I think the Theismann hit was the most famous football injury of all time....
The San Francisco Chronicle had a pretty graphic picture of the injury the next day.
In those days the sports section was printed on green newsprint.

I cut out that picture and taped it at eye level to the door frame of my apartment so that every time I left my home to play football it was the last thing I saw. For years that little green rectangle reminded to be careful out there!
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I remember the first time I saw the pics of Gale Sayers injury when being tackled by Kermit Alexander. I was eight or nine at the time and was shocked! That was the first gruesome injury I had seen.

In researching for my book Rockin the Rockiple, I had occasion to interview Roger Kochman, who played for the Bills in '63. He nearly lost his life due to the horrible knee injury he suffered being tackled. He told me he his leg was so badly bent that he was look at the bottom of his foot as he laid on the turf. Eddie Abramoski, who was the Bills athletic trainer for 37 years and who had treated thousands of injuries, told me it was the most horrific injury he'd ever seen. There is footage of the tackle in the Bills 63 highlight vid, but you can't really see the extent of the injury. Side note: Kochman's surgery was performed by Dr. Debakey, who was a pioneer in heart transplant surgery.