QB's taking 5-yard snap on all plays - when?

Rupert Patrick

QB's taking 5-yard snap on all plays - when?

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I know they do it all now on virtually all plays these days, taking the snap about five yards back from center, but it's not quite as deep as a shotgun which was closer to seven yards deep, and the two running backs behind the QB would move up in the pocket. You rarely see the QB set up directly behind center anymore. Who popularized this formation? When did it take over the NFL? I'm thinking it was Peyton Manning who started this, and it must have taken over sometime late in the 2000's decade.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
conace21

Re: QB's taking 5-yard snap on all plays - when?

Post by conace21 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I know they do it all now on virtually all plays these days, taking the snap about five yards back from center, but it's not quite as deep as a shotgun which was closer to seven yards deep, and the two running backs behind the QB would move up in the pocket. You rarely see the QB set up directly behind center anymore. Who popularized this formation? When did it take over the NFL? I'm thinking it was Peyton Manning who started this, and it must have taken over sometime late in the 2000's decade.
The shotgun traditionally featured the quarterback five yards deep in the 1980's and 90's. I checked some footage to make sure I wasn't misremembering. Marino -1984, Elway- 1987, 1990 and 1997, Kelly- 1990 and 1995, Bledsoe- 1995, Plummer and Flutie- 1998. They all were 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.