Tom Dempsey passes

Lee Elder

Re: Tom Dempsey passes

Post by Lee Elder »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Lee Elder wrote:Does anyone know the name of the SF 49er defender who was badly injured when he ran into Tom Dempsey's kicking foot during a game against the Rams? It was in Los Angeles, it had to be because I was there. I am pretty sure it was the 1975 game in LA because the 1976 game was a Monday Night game and my memory is that the incident happened during a daytime game. The defender had to be taken off the field on a stretcher and then had problems on the flight back to the Bay Area.

The oddity of course is that the 49ers defensive player was flagged for roughing the kicker.

I remember Dempsey as a courageous guy who overcame a great deal in order to play pro ball. I remember thinking way back then that I wanted to be able to say that I saw him play and I was sad today to learn of his passing.
Ralph McGill, who was knocked unconscious on November 9, 1975. His injury caused a delay of about 15 minutes.
Thanks for the note with McGill's ID. I was at the game and remember the delay because they had to take him off the field on a stretcher.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

During the same game as the 63-yarder, Dempsey also tied a record that will never be broken: shortest field goal (8 yards).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
RRMarshall wrote:From what I have heard he was a very affable guy. He was given the "Bonehead of the Year" Award for his record-breaking 63-yard FG in 1970 which eventually wound up costing New Orleans the #1 overall pick in the 1971 NFL draft. I saw a picture of him somewhere accepting the award with a big smile on his face. Another interesting item is that he had to get a special rider from the league to use his specially made kicking shoe. That would make a good research project.
Tex Schramm, being his perpetual a-hole self, raised a stink (right after the 63-yarder) about the "unfair advantage" that Dempsey had...
If Tom Dempsey was the Cowboys kicker and had kicked the 63-yard FG to win a game during the Cowboys 1970 late season run to the Super Bowl, Tex Schramm would have hailed it "one of the greatest feats in sports history."
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

If Tom Dempsey was the Cowboys kicker and had kicked the 63-yard FG to win a game during the Cowboys 1970 late season run to the Super Bowl, Tex Schramm would have hailed it "one of the greatest feats in sports history."[/quote]

Pay the man, skip!