Newspaper sites

vikingsfan1963

Newspaper sites

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Newspapers.com is probably the best known but are there any others? That site only has 3 of the major daily newspapers in my state with issues through this century. Thanks for any recommendations.
RyanChristiansen

Re: Newspaper sites

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I subscribe to newspapers.com and newspaperarchive.com. Some overlap.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Thanks
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Beyond those two it is kind of cherry picking, if you want a particular paper.

GeneaologyBank has the San Diego papers, I believe.

There is a site, fultonhistory, that has a lot of Buffalo area papers.

There is finally a Houston paper digitized, the Chronicle. They are not any major site. I think you can get a library card remotely and access it through the Houston library.

Similarly with the Kansas City Star. They are digitized, but only available locally in Kansas City, unless you can find a library or group that will let you get remote access.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Genealogy Bank also has papers from Dallas, Washington, Cleveland, New Orleans, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco, though some of them stop in 1984 and others go into the late 80's and early 90's. The San Diego papers also stop in 1984 and are missing the 1972 season.
ehaight

Post by ehaight »

Newspapers.com Extra has the Kansas City Star. Along with Houston, Denver is another problem city. Haven't been able to find a good online source for either the Denver Post or the Rocky Mountain News.
JohnTurney

USA Today

Post by JohnTurney »

Anyone know where uSA Today has any digital archives or even mirco film

trying to complete All-Joe teams by USA Today-Larry Weisman

Have some--but need 1998-1999-2000
Last edited by JohnTurney on Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PigskinDispatch

Post by PigskinDispatch »

I have recently found that my local library has a portal that I can access at home with my library card number to access some old newspapers that are not carried on Newspapers.com. At my library the access is free! I have found it to be pretty good so far.
Mark L Ford

Post by Mark L Ford »

PigskinDispatch wrote:I have recently found that my local library has a portal that I can access at home with my library card number to access some old newspapers that are not carried on Newspapers.com. At my library the access is free! I have found it to be pretty good so far.
And P.D. said what I was thinking of too-- when it comes to newspaper articles from 1985 to present, a lot of public libraries (including the one in my small town) have InfoWeb for free; the only caveat is that it's text only, but the service usually has the major metro papers from all 50 states and the smaller papers for the state the library is based in. Your login is your library card number.