Dallas Cowboys Running Backs

Halas Hall

Dallas Cowboys Running Backs

Post by Halas Hall »

Most would agree Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett are the two best running backs the Cowboys have ever had, but who is in the third slot? Don Perkins? Ezekiel Elliott? Calvin Hill? I think it's Don Perkins, but am curious what others think.

Thanks.

Nick
Brian wolf

Re: Dallas Cowboys Running Backs

Post by Brian wolf »

I would say Perkins with his running and blocking but Elliot is close with his running and receiving but a bad attitude. Hill wasnt there long enough like Murray or Walker and most of the others were role players, though Newhouse and Moose Johnston, were extremely unselfish. Garrison, Springs and Barber were great team players as well, while Duane Thomas may have been their most talented back as a pure runner ...
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I think Elloitt was 'better' than Perkins, but I think Perkins was more important to the Dallas franchise. Perkins is unique in that he was the primary ballcarrier for an expansion team, yet he was durable enough to take the pounding the first few years and play 10 seasons. Its more amazing because Perkins was an undersized FB who usually just ran inside.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Duane Thomas as a runner.
Garrison as a teammate...

Dan Reeves as a player-coach.

No, I am not hopelessly mired in the 1970's...
:roll:
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Felix Jones had huge play ability but never stayed healthy and Chris Warren was past his prime when he joined the team. Julio Jones ran better when Larry Allen was there but wasnt the same after he left. I still wish Parcells would have drafted Steven Jackson instead. Can you imagine the backfield of Jackson and Barber ?
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Herschel Walker ?

- just kidding...
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

JuggernautJ wrote:Duane Thomas as a runner.
:roll:
Has anyone read Thomas' book w/ Dr Z, "Duane Thomas And The Fall Of America's Team"? Strikes me as an odd title considering Cowboy success after Thomas left the team in '72.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnR wrote:
Has anyone read Thomas' book w/ Dr Z, "Duane Thomas And The Fall Of America's Team"? Strikes me as an odd title considering Cowboy success after Thomas left the team in '72.
I have, not Zimerman's best, but okay. Yeah. Dallas sure fell in the 1970s, huh? LOL
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Dr. Z was never a fan of the Cowboys, so I'm sure some of that bias seeps through.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:Dr. Z was never a fan of the Cowboys, so I'm sure some of that bias seeps through.
I didn't read the book cover to cover but glanced through it when I found it in a library. Thomas was depicted as a victim of the Cowboys organization, which supposedly brought about the "fall" of the Cowboys 15 years later.