Reflections on 2011 Super Bowl Giants 21 Patriots 17

LeonardRachiele

Reflections on 2011 Super Bowl Giants 21 Patriots 17

Post by LeonardRachiele »

The New York Giants, by winning the Super Bowl, broke a record they set in 2007.  They won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record in the regular season compared to 10-6 four years ago.   All of this proves the Super Bowl often does not reflect who the best team was.  Just who is playing the best at a given time.  At one point,  the New York Giants lost four straight games.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many have stated these two ideas:

{1} Turnovers, quarterback sacks, and penalties determine who wins the game;
{2} Don't look at just the second half or even worse the fourth quarter to determine the biggest plays.

These points rang true in the first quarter of Giants' 21 to 17 victory.  I cannot remember the players involved but names here are not important.  In the first quarter, New York was  leading 2 to 0 on a drive inside the Patriots' five. The Giants fumbled and New England recovered.  However, the Patriots had 12 men on the field.  Somebody was simply not focused.  Big time penalty.
JWL

Re: Reflections on 2011 Super Bowl Giants 21 Patriots 17

Post by JWL »

I missed the first half because I was at a movie theater with my dad. The two other people in there must also have been Jets fans.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

Here's an interesting tidbit involving Super Bowl X and Super Bowl XLVI: The final score of each game was 21-17. The winning teams scored their twenty-one points in the same unconventional manner: one safety, one touchdown with extra point, one touchdown with missed extra point, and two field goals.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:Here's an interesting tidbit involving Super Bowl X and Super Bowl XLVI: The final score of each game was 21-17. The winning teams scored their twenty-one points in the same unconventional manner: one safety, one touchdown with extra point, one touchdown with missed extra point, and two field goals.
Fantastic knowledge-drop!

I was really into that second Giants/Pats SB as it was going on; and all of the way to the very Brady-throwing-a-Hail-Mary-end (as was also the case at the end of the first NYG/NE SB). It's one of my favorite SBs. I unbiasedly see it as a better game than SBX despite my Steeler-fandom. And it was that very 'texture' of that 21-the-hard-way scoring by the eventual winner that helped make it as intriguing as it was. But what never came to mind all this time until your post, Terry, was knowing that very commonality between both those events 36 years apart!