104th season, Week 16 recap

racepug

104th season, Week 16 recap

Post by racepug »

the LAR 30 – 22 'N'awlins' – The Saints score two late touchdowns but are otherwise pretty much dominated in this battle between former N.F.C. West rivals who are both fighting for a playoff berth.

PIT 34 – 11 CIN – Jake Browning, after several solid outings in place of Joe Burrow (the other "J.B." in CIN), throws three interceptions as the ‘Stillers’ end both their own 3-game losing streak and the Bengals’ 3-game winning streak.

the LAC 22 – 24 BUF – the Chargers keep it close and nearly pull off the upset but the Bills edge closer to a playoff berth with this win on the west coast.

ATL 29 – 10 Indy – a week after losing to the worst team in the league the Falcons make amends by handily defeating the Colts.

CAR 30 – 33 G.B. - the Packers avoid disaster and keep their slim playoff hopes alive by (barely) beating the worst-record-in-the-league Panthers.

HOU 22 – 36 CLE – the Browns solidify their playoff chances with this win on the road while seriously hampering those of the Texans.

MIN 24 – 30 DET – with the win the Lions claim their first division championship in 30 years.

the NYJ 30 – 28 WAS – the Commanders nearly do something that they’ve never done before (overcome a 20-pt. halftime deficit) but instead are beaten by a FG with 0:05 left on the 4th quarter clock.

TEN 17 – 20 SEA – the Seahawks keep their playoff hopes alive with this win on the road against the last-place-in-their-division Titans.

T.B. 30 – 12 JAX – the Buccaneers stay in contention for their division title while handing the Jaguars their 4th straight loss.

CHI 27 – 16 ARZ – ‘Da Bears’ prevail in this game between the two oldest franchises in the league.

MIA 22 – 20 DAL – the Dolphins, wearing “throw-backs,” win this one on a last-second FG.

DEN 23 – 26 N.E. - the Patriots travel to CO and with nothing to play for but pride they knock off the home-standing Broncos, putting a serious dent in the home team's playoff hopes.

K.C. 14 – 20 the LVR – in a wild and crazy game on Xmas Day the RAIDERS go to MO and hand the division-leading Chiefs their 3rd straight home loss while keeping their own playoff hopes alive.

PHI 33 – 25 the NYG – the ‘Iggles’ take a 20 – 3 lead at halftime but then have to hold on for the victory over their division rivals.

SFO 19 – 33 BAL – And in the last Monday (night) game of the regular season the Ravens go to northern CA and surprise the 49ers in what could be a S.B. preview.
Last edited by racepug on Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Re: 104th season, Week 16 recap

Post by Brian wolf »

Good thumping on the 49ers by the Ravens. Though SF is still trying to get home-field advantage, this loss can somewhat help them, as they finally get challenged and will have to put the loss behind and get back to work after a six game winning streak.

The Ravens defense can play with anyone and Jackson's passing got better as the game went on, hopefully Hamilton on defense, escaped the game without serious damage to his knee.

The Chiefs are certainly distracted by the Taylor Swift sideshow and its even getting to Mahomes who has enough to worry about with receivers not making enough plays for him. Can they rally as a team and get hot at the right time?

The Dolphins won a big game at home but have to be concerned about their running game the last few weeks. The offensive line has to stay healthy and get the backs going again to help out Tua, who is hoping to host his first playoff game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

So the Broncos, who still have a chance at a winning season, have decided to bench Russell Wilson. Obviously, they are looking at next year--and his 37 million injury guarantee in March--rather than trying to get to nine wins this year. Payton's call or mandate from management?

Right or wrong move, Stidham will start in his place and can show if he can win the Broncos final two games, while improving his stock for the Broncos or another team next year. If he impresses, would the Broncos move on from Wilson? HOF QBs usually dont have blips on their resume but Wilson could join Kurt Warner in leaving multiple teams trying to regain success with a third team.

In defense of Payton, he is showing that all players are accountable and if he can bench Wilson, no one is safe or beyond the team but with what Wilson went through last year, not to mention the loyal fans, he deserves to finish out the season.

Other than Sutton, the Broncos have no weapons on offense, the ground game is nothing and the offensive line has given up 45 sacks already. Is this all Wilson's fault or Payton's? Payton likes to be outspoken and brash but accomplished nothing without Drew Brees and certain players that gave him his championship, tainted by bounty scandals that allowed him to get caught. He is the coach and is obviously sending a message, we will see how it plays out for next season.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:56 am Good thumping on the 49ers by the Ravens. Though SF is still trying to get home-field advantage, this loss can somewhat help them, as they finally get challenged and will have to put the loss behind and get back to work after a six game winning streak.

The Ravens defense can play with anyone and Jackson's passing got better as the game went on, hopefully Hamilton on defense, escaped the game without serious damage to his knee.
I was surprised (and disappointed) by this outcome so I hope you're right: that the loss will shake the 49ers and propel them to a S.B. championship in a few weeks.
Brian wolf wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:56 amThe Chiefs are certainly distracted by the Taylor Swift sideshow and its even getting to Mahomes who has enough to worry about with receivers not making enough plays for him. Can they rally as a team and get hot at the right time?
From what I heard during the broadcast the other day that seems to be their attitude: that as long as they make the playoffs they can then "make things right" and go on to defend their S.B. title. Theoretically I suppose that is true but they haven't "looked right" since Week 1 so I, for one, would be very surprised if they were to suddenly "flip a switch" and become the dominating force that they've been the last few years.
Brian wolf wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:56 amThe Dolphins won a big game at home but have to be concerned about their running game the last few weeks. The offensive line has to stay healthy and get the backs going again to help out Tua, who is hoping to host his first playoff game.
I'm not sure how many questions were answered in this game, except, possibly, that the N.F.C. entry based in TX STILL has trouble winning on the road (against anything other than the dregs of the league). I texted another member of the PFRA after Sunday's games that "I don't remember the last time I saw two with such impressive records look so unconvincing." I stand by that.
Last edited by racepug on Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:49 pm So the Broncos, who still have a chance at a winning season, have decided to bench Russell Wilson. Obviously, they are looking at next year--and his 37 million injury guarantee in March--rather than trying to get to nine wins this year. Payton's call or mandate from management?

Right or wrong move, Stidham will start in his place and can show if he can win the Broncos final two games, while improving his stock for the Broncos or another team next year. If he impresses, would the Broncos move on from Wilson? HOF QBs usually dont have blips on their resume but Wilson could join Kurt Warner in leaving multiple teams trying to regain success with a third team.

In defense of Payton, he is showing that all players are accountable and if he can bench Wilson, no one is safe or beyond the team but with what Wilson went through last year, not to mention the loyal fans, he deserves to finish out the season.

Other than Sutton, the Broncos have no weapons on offense, the ground game is nothing and the offensive line has given up 45 sacks already. Is this all Wilson's fault or Payton's? Payton likes to be outspoken and brash but accomplished nothing without Drew Brees and certain players that gave him his championship, tainted by bounty scandals that allowed him to get caught. He is the coach and is obviously sending a message, we will see how it plays out for next season.
I'm stunned to find out that R.W. has been benched (although that moment a couple of games ago that was caught on camera of S.P. poking R.W. in the chest while having words with him maybe should've been a clue). Personally, I don't believe that R.W. is done as an N.F.L. starting quarterback so if the Broncos cut ties with him I'm sure he'll find a home elsewhere (maybe he can go to the Giants - from what I recall New York is one of the places that R.W.'s wife was hoping he'd end up before his playing days are over).
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think Payton was banking on Wilson being Drew Brees Redux, spending 25 hours a day studying film and the playbook. RW's more of an instinctive QB, but he's slowing down.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Wilson definitely isnt the precision passer that Brees was but inefficiency on offense or not, its hard to bench a guy who still has 26 TD passes despite a mediocre receiving corps. The writers at PFT believe the Broncos will cut ties with him but I dont believe it. He will restructure his deal, unless Stidham can really impress in the last two weeks. I wouldnt bet on it. If the Giants were to trade for Belichick, would he be interested in bringing in Wilson?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:53 pm Payton 'splains things......

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/sea ... on-benched
The article mentions Wilson is turning the ball over 1.8% int and 5 lost fumbles. Looking at the top 30 he has the 11th lowest int%. the 5 lost fumbles is on the higher end by 1 or 2

i was looking at his numbers. FWIW he leads the league in game winning drives and 4th Q comebacks
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... lsRu00.htm

I wonder if there is something behind the scenes going on?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Sonny9 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:04 pm
RichardBak wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:53 pm Payton 'splains things......

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/sea ... on-benched
The article mentions Wilson is turning the ball over 1.8% int and 5 lost fumbles. Looking at the top 30 he has the 11th lowest int%. the 5 lost fumbles is on the higher end by 1 or 2

i was looking at his numbers. FWIW he leads the league in game winning drives and 4th Q comebacks
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... lsRu00.htm

I wonder if there is something behind the scenes going on?
Maybe RW's boinking Payton's wife? Or mother-in-law. Or, gawd forbid, his grandma. You never know with the way things are today.