Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

1924 Pottsville Maroons
Started by Moran, Jan 08 2014 10:24 PM

12 replies to this topic

#1 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:24 PM
Does anyone happen to have a roster from the 1924 Maroons? Even better, from the game against the Atlantic City Roses on Nov 9, 1924? I'd like to try and id players in a photo taken at the game. Thanks

Here's first try at a scan of the photo - I think you can zoom in and see some details http://www.hapmoran.org/Other/1924.jpg

#2 Bob Gill
PFRA Member
Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:12 PM
I have the 1924 roster for Pottsville, and the lineup from the Atlantic City game, but something is completely screwed with this site -- for me, at least -- and I can't post it here without typing it from scratch, which, to be honest, I don't feel like doing if I can avoid it. I also haven't been able to quote anybody's previous post for at least a couple of weeks, which I'm sure is a related problem, and I know I'm not the only one suffering from that one. It would be nice if somebody could get this fixed.

#3 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:45 AM
Bob, could you email it to me revmoran@nmchurch.org -

#4 Ken Crippen
Administrator
Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:57 PM
Bob Gill, on 08 Jan 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:
I have the 1924 roster for Pottsville, and the lineup from the Atlantic City game, but something is completely screwed with this site -- for me, at least -- and I can't post it here without typing it from scratch, which, to be honest, I don't feel like doing if I can avoid it. I also haven't been able to quote anybody's previous post for at least a couple of weeks, which I'm sure is a related problem, and I know I'm not the only one suffering from that one. It would be nice if somebody could get this fixed.

What error do you get?

#5 JoeZagorski
PFRA Member
Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:03 PM
I'll try to look for the stuff that I collected about the 1924 Maroons. It's somewhere in my apartment. I'll respond again when I find the stuff that I'm looking for.

#6 Bob Gill
PFRA Member
Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:15 PM
I don't get any error message. I just hit quote, as I used to do, but nothing happens. I've also tried copying the parts I wanted to quote (with control-C) and then pasting them in with control-V, and nothing happens that way either. Both of these methods used to work, until a few weeks ago, and now neither one does.

#7 Ken Crippen
Administrator
Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:24 PM
Bob Gill, on 09 Jan 2014 - 7:15 PM, said:
I don't get any error message. I just hit quote, as I used to do, but nothing happens. I've also tried copying the parts I wanted to quote (with control-C) and then pasting them in with control-V, and nothing happens that way either. Both of these methods used to work, until a few weeks ago, and now neither one does.
Have you changed browsers (or versions of browsers)? Have you done a Windows update? Anything change to your computer at that time?

What browser are you using and what version? What operating system?

#8 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:41 PM
The beauty of the site is that between Bob Gill and Joe Zagorski I have 99.44% of the total available knowledge of the 1924 Pottsville Maroons answering my question! Thanks!

#9 JoeZagorski
PFRA Member
Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:07 PM
I have to work until Tuesday. Hopefully by Tuesday night I'll have some info for you. I agree with you about Bob Gill. He is one of the best researchers in the business.

#10 JoeZagorski
PFRA Member
Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:34 PM
Well, I looked virtually everywhere in my apartment for the box of stuff that I've collected on the Maroons. Unfortunately, having moved several times over the years, that info is now lost to me. Trust me, I looked everywhere. I can tell you that the photo of the player in question is not Pete Henry, nor is it Carl Beck, who was the Ladanian Tomlinson of his day in the Anthracite Region. Beck had flowing blonde hair. It's also not Tony Marhefka. I'll keep looking for my stuff, and if ever I can find it all, I'll post it here on the forum. Again, please accept my apologies for my failure to find the stuff.

#11 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:30 PM
The fun is in the chase - thanks for looking. I copied the faces of the Maroons players from the panoramic and tried to match it with a 1924 team photo where the players were identified. Here's the link http://www.hapmoran....Other/19242.jpg

I think it's safe to conclude that the photo was taken when most of the starting 11 were on the field - they are not in the photo. So you have players like Yeasted, Yost, Lebengood, Marhefka, Dutch Striegel and Bihel - plus Dr. Striegel and Joe Zacko - also in there are Charlie Berry and Jack Ernst (to the left of Marhefka), who were still playing for Lafayette and had just lost a game to Rutgers the day before.

#12 John Fenton
PFRA Member
Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:27 AM
I'm a little late to the conversation, but on a related note here's a link to a news clipping, from the Philadelphia Public Ledger, reporting on the game http://home.comcast....blic_Ledger.jpg

#13 Moran
PFRA Member
Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:19 PM
Thanks for the link to that great article -
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister