Has Anyone Ever Seen a Catch Like This?

rhickok1109

Has Anyone Ever Seen a Catch Like This?

Post by rhickok1109 »

This is undoubtedly somewhat off-topic, but my great-nephew Sam Wisneski of Ashwaubenon High School (Ashwaubenon is the Green Bay suburb where Lambeau Field is located; maybe that makes it on-topic) made one of the most amazing catches I've ever seen in a playoff game Friday night.

Sam had the defender beat down the right sideline, but the ball was underthrown and Sam had to stop and wait for it. The defender, with his back to the ball was faceguarding Sam (is that legal on the high school level?), but Sam managed to see the ball and he reached around the defender and actually caught it behind the defender's back. Then he snaked it into his own body with his right hand, broke away from the defender and ran 15 yards into the end zone.

Here's a brief video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDUIc2lgKUM

I guess I've seen a few thousand football games at every level and I've seen a lot of outstanding catches, but I have never seen another catch like this one.
Mark L. Ford

Re: Has Anyone Ever Seen a Catch Like This?

Post by Mark L. Ford »

A remarkable catch, particularly since he managed to reach around the defender and catch the ball all without touching the defender-- would it have been offensive pass interference if he had bumped the defender in the process?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Great play! Thanks for sharing Ralph.

The way you described it, the first thing that came to mind was Tyrone Prothro's catch.

High School football is the best, HS football playoffs are even better, only the worthy players are allowed on the field. Congrats to your great-nephew for the memorable play. Condolences for the season being over - hopefully he's not a Sr. and gets another shot next year, but if this was his last High School game, not bad to go out making a play like that.

Indirectly see a lot of Wisconsin HS football stories, since they have the same "WIAA" association title as we have in WA.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

OUTSTANDING !!! And... it is football at its most pure level - still, they thrill us almost every time.

CONGRATS Proud Great-Uncle !!!

Currently, we are watching the progress of an old classmate's grandson as he is being recruited by a slew of D-I schools - in TWO Sports: as a PK in Football, and a whatever they call the scorers in soccer.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Great catch! I'm sure the whole family is very proud.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

One similar catch I do remember was in a strike-replacement Monday Night game in 1987 between the 49ers and Giants. NY wide receiver Lewis Bennett caught 46-yard TD pass in the endzone like your grand- nephew. I'm searching for the video, but in this link it is quoted:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140 ... tory-video

There is the catch, it's at the 5:04 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ3FmVqf ... ata_player