Kansas City's Wing-T Offense

JoeZagorski

Kansas City's Wing-T Offense

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys:

Do any of you know what year the Kansas City Chiefs introduced the Wing-T to their offense? I know that it was sometime in the 1970s, but I'm not sure which year. Was it Marv Levy who came up with it? Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
JeffreyMiller

Re: Kansas City's Wing-T Offense

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Yes it was Marv Levy. Can't remember the year, but he used it because he felt it was the formation that best utilized the talent available. He discusses it in his biography.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Marv Levy used the Wing-T for the 1978 season, and I am almost positive that was the only year he used it. Here is an article from the internet:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/ ... 09bcf01a39

I have a tape of the 1978 Steelers-Chiefs game, and while the Steelers eventually won, the Wing-T did give the Steel Curtain fits. The Chiefs actually outgained the Steelers by more than 100 yards (322 to 215) and had a chance to win until Horace Belton fumbled at the end of the 3rd Quarter with the Chiefs trailing 20-17, and Donnie Shell returned the fumble for a TD. The final score was 27-24.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Robin Cole forced that fumble. It was key to the game but the Chiefs still had a chance and were in the game even when they went down 10. The Steelers weren't going anywhere with Kruczek at QB and KC was having success running the ball (obviously) with a mix of the Steelers not having their best day tackling. The Chiefs had the entire 4th Qtr. Wasted possessions until they got their TD. Which following that they were unlucky on the onside kick that hit off Ham's leg but the ball - that could have bounced anywhere - stayed in front of Ham for him to get on quicker than KC could get there. Though their own fault that it came down to an onside kick and they still could have got the ball back but their defense didn't stop Pittsburgh from picking up a first down and running out the clock.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks Guys!
Joe Z.