Looking At the Teams That Attempted to Threepeat

CSKreager

Looking At the Teams That Attempted to Threepeat

Post by CSKreager »

With KC trying to do what no team has done in the SB era, I want to look at teams that had a realistic shot at a Threepeat

No 68 Packers (Lombardi left) or 99 Broncos (Elway retired)

Between these teams how would you assess their 3Peat Chances and efforts:

1974 Dolphins
1976 Steelers
1980 Steelers
1990 49ers
1994 Cowboys
2005 Patriots
Brian wolf

Re: Looking At the Teams That Attempted to Threepeat

Post by Brian wolf »

Paul Warfield believed had the Dolphins gotten by the Raiders, they would have beaten the Steelers in the Orange Bowl before beating Minn. I am doubtful, without Jake Scott.

Injuries to running backs hurt these teams chances, especially SF, Pitts and Dallas, though E Smith played well before leaving the 94/95 game against the Niners

Had Swann not gotten hurt in 1980, I believe the Steelers would have three-peated.

Brady was worn down at the end of the 2005/06 postseason.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Of course, Vince's Packers did "Threepeat... it's just that one of their "Petes" was before the Super Bowl existed.

I can still hear Pat Summerall saying "There will be no threepeate..."
And I can still see Roger Craig fumbling that football near the end of the game.
Arg. A real heartbreaker for a 49er fan.

I think all those teams (except maybe the Packers, going for a fourth consecutive title) had a reasonable chance to make it three in a row.
I'd be interested to know (as Brian said, above) how many of those back-to-back champions were felled by significant injuries.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Of those six, I'd give the 1990 49ers the best shot. The NFC title game was an out-and-out brawl, not really the kind of game S.F. was used to, but it still took a somewhat fluky play for them to lose; Craig had only fumbled twice all season. A shootout with Buffalo would have been much more the flavor of matchup that the 49ers thrived on.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The 1980 "one for the thumb" Steelers might have had the most difficult path because of age. But it's amazing that some of these teams even made it to the conference championship game. So many factors with injuries, age, breaks, turnover of personnel. As Bob Skoronski of the Packers said, 'winning three in a row was infinitely more difficult than winning two in a row."

OF all of them, I think the Cowboys might have had the best chance had Johnson stayed. But the 76 Steelers are up there, too, but the injuries hampered their chances. 49ers came close with Seifert taking over for Walsh, but that was a different scenario. That 49ers/Giants NFC Champiosnhip Game, yes Craig fumbled but Montana was also knocked out - so that changed a lot. I've often wondered who he was about to throw to when he was hit. Also, Simms was out for the Giants. SF/NY had that incredible regular season game on Monday Night that year. I think that really shows you how good both those teams were. Great football on both sides. I never thought of it as Craig fumbling but rather the Giant defense forcing it.

KC might have a better chance in some ways - the expanded playoffs give them a chance to overcome some losses if there's a major injury during the regular season. Of course, one can say that it's more difficult with a longer season and more playoff games. It's super difficult either way, really in any sport.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:57 am The 1980 "one for the thumb" Steelers might have had the most difficult path because of age. But it's amazing that some of these teams even made it to the conference championship game. So many factors with injuries, age, breaks, turnover of personnel. As Bob Skoronski of the Packers said, 'winning three in a row was infinitely more difficult than winning two in a row."

OF all of them, I think the Cowboys might have had the best chance had Johnson stayed. But the 76 Steelers are up there, too, but the injuries hampered their chances. Seifert took over for Walsh, but that was a different scenario than the Cowboys culture change rather than simply a coaching change. That 49ers/Giants NFC Champiosnhip Game, yes Craig fumbled but Montana was also knocked out - so that changed a lot. I've often wondered who he was about to throw to when he was hit. Also, Simms was out for the Giants. SF/NY had that incredible regular season game on Monday Night that year. I think that really shows you how good both those teams were. Great football on both sides. I never thought of it as Craig fumbling but rather the Giant defense forcing it. I agree that SF likely defeats Buffalo.

KC might have a better chance in some ways - the expanded playoffs give them a chance to overcome some losses if there's a major injury during the regular season. Of course, one can say that it's more difficult with a longer season and more playoff games. It's super difficult either way, really in any sport.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Even with Emmitt Smith hurt, I never believed the Cowboy's offense and defense would struggle so much to open the game against SF. Switzer simply didn't prepare them like Johnson would have, and giving up 38 points made me livid at that time. The 49ers and Young deserve credit for finally getting by this team.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

1974 Dolphins
The Dolphins had beaten the Steelers every year from 1971-1973. Could they have defeated Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship? It would have been a great game.

1976 Steelers
Even at full strength, the Raiders had defeated the Steelers in 76 and early in the 77 regular season. I'm not sure Pittsburgh wins even with a healthy backfield.

1980 Steelers
I think of all the teams on this list, this one is the "oldest". The Steelers were past their prime, especially on defense. They had 18 sacks all year.

1990 49ers
Historically, I think this team had the best chance to threepeat. The Niners had the NFC Championship game won, and then somehow messed it up. The Giants played the best game they could, and they barely beat the Niners on a long, last-second FG. The game was wild. There was a sequence where ex-Giant Jim Burt dives into Hostetler's leg (a bit late) and wrenches Hostetler's knee....and in comes ex-Niner QB Matt Cavanaugh. How do you lose that game, when your backup QB is Steve Young and the other team has Matt Cavanuagh? I think Seifert was too conservative with Young at the end of the game. JMO

1994 Cowboys
As someone else mentioned, this Cowboys team was still in its prime. They probably do three-peat with JJ as coach.

2005 Patriots
meh
racepug

Post by racepug »

Bryan wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 am 1980 Steelers
I think of all the teams on this list, this one is the "oldest". The Steelers were past their prime, especially on defense. They had 18 sacks all year.
Yeah, mention of the 1980 "Stillers" surprised me. I remember reading, once, that even Terry Bradshaw has admitted that after the 1979 season he pretty much knew that his team's run of dominance was over (I remember a bad loss by the 1980 'Stillers' to the Chargers - something like 7 - 35 - being "proof" that the "Stillers" of the '70s were done for). I'm guessing due to age.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Chargers did beat the Steelers in 1980--they had beaten them 35-7 the year before-- before Pittsburgh was eliminated from the playoff race due to Oilers and Patriot wins, and SD needed the game to win the division. Yes, the defense had a tough season but Bradshaw still led the team to a winning record. Stallworth was lost after the second game and with Swann, Pitts started the year 4-1 before Swann got hurt. Bradshaw threw to receivers Theo Bell and Jim Smith, who played very well but were unknown to defenses. Despite making the PB, Franco Harris had a tough season as well.

Had Swann and Stallworth stayed healthy, there is no doubt in my mind the Steelers would have beaten the Browns out for the division. Though the Steelers humiliated the playoff bound Oilers and Ken Stabler in the opening game, the Snake would torment his former adversary by beating them in the rematch by handing the ball to Earl Campbell. Bradshaw threw interceptions but still had an underrated season. If the defense had been just slightly better, they would have made the playoffs.