Question - Giants post season 1927

Moran

Question - Giants post season 1927

Post by Moran »

The day after Christmas 1927 a team made up of New York Giants from the 1927 championship squad and other NFL players met the Hominy Indians in Hominy, Oklahoma. Does anyone know the roster for that game? I've read that the Giants squad was on their way to play some games in California - does anyone have information about those games, dates, rosters? Thanks
Mark L. Ford

Re: Question - Giants post season 1927

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The Giants were scheduled to play the Hominy Indians at Pawhuska on Sunday, December 18, 1927, or possibly the next Sunday (Christmas Day), according to an AP report in the Ardmore, OK paper that day. but I haven't seen the story anywhere else, nor any news items about a Giants tour in the winter of 1927-28.

The Giants did play some post-season winter exhibitions after the 1925, 1934 and 1935 seasons, and they played the Hominy Indians in a preseason game at the Polo Grounds on September 23, 1931.
Moran

Post by Moran »

I went through newspapers.com filtering it for January 1928 in California and found no articles about a Giants team playing exhibition games there. There were articles about Grange, Wilson, Nevers, and Bradshaw led teams, but no Giants so far. I was hoping if I found a roster it would be possible to surmise who from the Giants actually played against the Hominy Indians.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Can't source it but from memory I'm pretty sure I read that players from other NFL teams joined/played for the Giants for their 'tour' ...

edit: Nevermind, overlooked that Moran had mentioned that the "Giants" included other NFL players.
Last edited by Reaser on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Reaser wrote:Can't source it but from memory I'm pretty sure I read that players from other NFL teams joined/played for the Giants for their 'tour' ...
The football New York Yankees played seven games in California after Christmas 1927, as did the Cleveland Bulldogs and the Duluth Eskimos. I had seen a reference to a game that had been scheduled for San Francisco for January 7, 1928, involving the Giants and Cleveland, but it was canceled, and Cleveland played Duluth the next day instead. It may well be that Mara had planned to send the Giants on tour, scheduled some games in advance, then scrapped the plans for whatever reason.
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

I just have the following. The article was short and had no particulars.
12/26 L 6-13 at Hominy Indians (Oklahoma)

Perusing what I am allowed to peruse at newspaperarchive.com, I also found the following:|
12/26/1927 at Nevers Field, Santa Rosa, Ernie Nevers Giants 70-0 Arbuckle American Legion
1/8/1928 Wilson’s Wildcats 7-0 Grange’s Yankees; Rabbit Bradshaw (out of Nevada) intercepts Wild Bill Kelly’s pass, 82 yd to TD (Nevada)
1/8/1928 Friedman’s Cleveland Bulldogs 13-6 Never’s Giants, at SF
1/15/1928 Friedman’s Cleveland Bulldogs 12-6 Wilson’s Wildcats. Wilson ran 59yds for TD
1/15/2928 Ernie Nevers’ Tut-Imlay Giants 0-7 Red Grange’s NY Yankees Molenda (Michigan): TD & XP
1/29/1928 Ernie Nevers Giants 13-13 Red Grange Yankees at SF 2,500
1/29/1928 at LA George Wilson’s Wildcats 0-0 Benny Friedman’s Bulldogs
2/5/1928 Benny Friedman’s Bulldogs v NY Yankees, scheduled
2/12/1928 Wilson-Bradshaw v Never's Giants George Wilson & Rabbit Bradshaw Wildcats, scheduled

Who was Tut? Was Wilson both a player and an owner? player and coach?

The 70-0 game had the largest write-up. In the Woodland Daily Democrat
Ted Shipkey, John Blood, Peter Schnaffnit and “Bunny” Belden caught TD passes from Nevers
Manford and Tipton "played well" for losers. 2,500, Nevers Field, Santa Rosa

I was closed out from viewing any more pages today. There was an article about the Hominy Indians I couldn't thus see:
Ardmore Daily ArdmoreiteSunday, December 18, 1927, Ardmore, Oklahoma....Check it out if you can, I think some names are mentioned...
Last edited by luckyshow on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

12/26/1927 at Nevers Field, Santa Rosa, Ernie Nevers Giants 70-0 Arbuckle American Legion
70-0? whoah. :shock:
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Yes, 70-0, but that those two players "fought well" is something they wouldn't write in such a report today. It was 32-0 at the half.

I also have the following, some duplicates to above. This is for the Yankees:

Jan. 1 L 0-6 Los Angeles Wildcats, at Ewing Field, San Francisco 1/2?
Jan. 8 L 0-7 Los Angeles Wildcats, at Wrigley Field, Los Angeles
Jan. 15 W 7-0 Nevers-Imlay Giants, at Wrigley Field, Los Angeles
Jan. 22 W 9-7 Cleveland Bulldogs, at Los Angeles Wrigley Field
Feb. 6 W 13-6 Cleveland Bulldogs, at Los Angeles Wrigley Field
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

luckyshow wrote:I
>>Who was Tut? <<

I didn't know who Tut Imlay was, but turns out that he was a back for two seasons in the NFL and played the 1927 season for the Giants (who won the NFL pennant that year)
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... laTu20.htm

I think between Paul's research identifying Nevers' Giants and what Moran was saying about the Giants' players, Nevers' team was heavy on stars from Big Blue. That also explains the January 8 Bulldogs-Giants game at San Francisco -- Nevers Giants instead of New York Giants, and definitely not the "Duluth Eskimos" that was Nevers' unsuccessful road team in 1927.

>>Was Wilson both a player and an owner? player and coach? <<
George "Wildcat" Wilson was the player and owner of the Los Angeles Wildcats road team of the 1926 AFL, often billed as "Wilson's Wildcats", and Wes Bradshaw was one of his marquee players. Wilson didn't coach the 1926 AFL team, but it may well be that he filled that role for his traveling Wildcats in 1927
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
luckyshow wrote:I
>>Who was Tut? <<

I didn't know who Tut Imlay was, but turns out that he was a back for two seasons in the NFL and played the 1927 season for the Giants (who won the NFL pennant that year)
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... laTu20.htm

I think between Paul's research identifying Nevers' Giants and what Moran was saying about the Giants' players, Nevers' team was heavy on stars from Big Blue. That also explains the January 8 Bulldogs-Giants game at San Francisco -- Nevers Giants instead of New York Giants, and definitely not the "Duluth Eskimos" that was Nevers' unsuccessful road team in 1927.
I know that at least two players from "Ernie Nevers' Duluth Eskimos" played for that team: Johnny Blood and Cobb Rooney. Both of them were free spirits, and Nevers himself was something of a free spirit in those days.