How bad is the Search function?

Byron

How bad is the Search function?

Post by Byron »

I tried putting in "Browns" and "AAFC" and got the message that the terms "...were too common". What am I supposed to search for, something uncommon?

How can I find older threads on this forum?
ChrisBabcock

Re: How bad is the Search function?

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Yeah, it seems as though anything "NFL related" ends up being too common. Isn't that the whole point of this forum? ;)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Byron wrote:I tried putting in "Browns" and "AAFC" and got the message that the terms "...were too common". What am I supposed to search for, something uncommon?

How can I find older threads on this forum?
I specifically asked about this in one of the first threads when we switched over to here ... no response.

At that time, I tested numerous teams, leagues and players, the only one that worked was "Bobby Layne"
Tod Maher

Post by Tod Maher »

This can EASILY be fixed (ACP > MAINTENANCE > Database > Search index).
But I am NOT holding my breath.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Byron » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:52 pm
"I tried putting in "Browns" and "AAFC" and got the message that the terms "...were too common". What am I supposed to search for, something uncommon?
"How can I find older threads on this forum?"

Let me begin by saying I do not know who you are? You could very well be a beard used as a disguise by our bored directors to learn who is willing to share the Truth. Those who do reveal the Truth are likely to be continually harrassed as I have been for being outspoken with valid criticism(s) of the procedure(s) here. Adding to your anonymity is the lack of identity of "PFRA Member" or "Forum Visitor." I will be quite willing - as will others, I believe - to share more in-depth details if you communicate outside this forum. PM your e-mail and name and membership status and I will reply.

Now... I have been here since 2007 but have never used the search feature. Many of our members are so aware that a brief inquiry almost immediately gets a response. Some are simply seeking attention but most are sincere.
Those who have already replied to you are quite honorable and you can rely on their statements regarding "Search."

As for the older threads... color most of them GONE! They were willfully and knowingly discarded by our bored directors and, as most will tell you, in a manner totally without concern for those of us who would have wanted to preserve them.
Inquiries before, during, and after these actions were ignored.

Other questions concerning other Features made by other members have also been ignored. Some of that is implied in the replies above - others can be found by thumbing through some of the earlier threads since this new forum began.

If it is any help to you, some of the old threads were saved - very few compared to the number discarded.
There is a thread listing about 100 of these.
Another 300-odd will follow as time permits.

I know other members saved some data as well. We were told of this trashing of threads near the end of old forum. So, we had barely a couple of days to devote to searching and saving threads. The bored directors had nearly a month and what they gathered while we were unaware has never been revealed. If I had to guess, I would say threads were pilfered of posts that might enhance their own image or used to denigrate that of another.
Of course, that is just a guess.
Those threads on that list are mixed within the forum group. Every time another 50-or-so are added, the list will be updated.

In the meantime, follow the advice already suggested and, if you are looking for a particular thread, ask.
If it is available, it will be moved to the top of the list.

Meanwhile, for your convenience, the List thread has been bumped.
Last edited by oldecapecod11 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Let me begin by saying I do not know who you are? You could very well be a beard used as a disguise by our bored directors to learn who is willing to share the Truth.
Now now. There there. Take off, place on the ground, and step away from the tinfoil hat. ;)
Byron

Post by Byron »

In the meantime, follow the advice already suggested and, if you are looking for a particular thread, ask.
If it is available, it will be moved to the top of the list.
Sadly, I went through the existing pages of the forum and the thread, which was about the Cleveland Browns of the 1950s but had some relevant information about the AAFC (and the players lost by the 49ers in the transition from the AAFC to the NFL), and it is not there. I could not tell anyone the actual title, unfortunately, but I believe Jagade started it.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Don't be sad. Remember Joaquin Miller and "Sail on."

I am sorry to report it is not among those I saved.

But... Matt Reaser was looking for something related to Brown or Browns. Maybe it was Jim Brown or ...

Additionally, suggest you PM Jagade. He is a pretty efficient guy and might have saved it.
Another STRONG possibility is BrownsHistorian. If he saw it, I BET he saved it.

If you knew the name of the Thread, you could start a new thread looking for it?
I looked at a couple of others I had that were 49ers but drifted off to AAFC but no luck.

Have you checked the AAFC Timeline in Members Only?
Last time I looked, it was not working but maybe it is up and running?
Last edited by oldecapecod11 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I remember the thread, don't think it was saved. Some threads are still viewable on google (through cache) but more and more are disappearing and not showing up in searches. Wayback Machine works on some pages but most now say "account suspended" ...

I don't think that many people saved threads, since there was no logical reason to save threads prior to being informed that the (now old) forum was shutting down. So only from that point to the end of the forum would one save anything and unfortunately that was what, a 5-day span? So only those who logged in during those few days would have even been aware that the forums were shutting down, and then they would have instantly needed to have thought to themselves; "I need to save threads" ... So it's extremely doubtful that outside of the marathon saving "oldecapecod" pulled off for us, much else was saved. Unless someone else saved a lot? I had very little freetime and just grabbed information I hadn't put in my files and only saved a couple full threads and those have been posted here already by Phil.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Bumped for MAZ1963
~ Arnie Weinmeister