PFRA Southern California chapter

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

PFRA Southern California chapter

Post by Mark L. Ford »

PFRA's Secretary and Media Director, Mr. Lee Elder, will be in Southern California on the evening of Wednesday, February 4, from about 6 pm to 8 pm, to meet with anybody who wants to talk about football history, and to discuss future meetings among our members in L.A. and Orange Counties. It's all informal, just an opportunity to get together for beers or soft drinks and talk about pro football. Whether you're a PFRA member or not, if you live anywhere near West Covina, feel free to bring along a friend. We're sending e-mails out to all members in L.A. and Orange County, in addition to this notice on the Forum.

The location for this first meeting will be at B J's Restaurant and Brewhouse at Eastland Shopping Center in West Covina (2917 Eastland Center Drive, phone # is 626-858-0054) If you're coming from the west, take the San Bernardino Freeway (I-10) to exit 37-B, turn right (north) on Baranca Street and then left at East Garvey. If you're approaching from Orange County, take I-605 and then east on I-10. For more info, e-mail Mr. Elder at speedylee@sprynet.com Even if you won't be able to make it to West Covina on Wednesday, please feel free to mail him anyway.

To everyone in general, one of our goals this year is to set up meetings of this nature whenever a PFRA officer might be traveling somewhere on business, or whenever someone wants to set up a get-together with other football history fans who live near them. We have a new member in Baltimore who will be planning on an informal meeting at a sports bar in his area.

Please note that while we don't give out member information without authorization, out of respect for privacy, we will send individual e-mails to people in your area if you want to organize a chapter, and they'll have the opportunity to e-mail you if they want to participate. It's as informal as an evening with friends at a restaurant. If you want people in your area to contact you about getting together, pick a suitable time and place and we'll get the word out.
Veeshik_ya

Re: PFRA Southern California chapter

Post by Veeshik_ya »

This sounds like jolly good fun. If I lived in Southern California, I'd be there.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

It's more than 2,000 miles from where I live, so I'll probably sit this one out as well... we've already had a couple of people respond in the first 24 hours. We'll be announcing meetings in other places as the year progresses, welcoming members and new folks alike. For anyone who would like to have something in their locale, organizing one of these is as easy as making plans to hang out at your favorite sports bar some evening or weekend afternoon. We've got a few members who have already contacted us about arranging something in their part of the world, and all anyone has to do is pick a time and place, and we'll send out announcements to members in the general area, and a mention on the Forum.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Will surfing be on the agenda?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Will surfing be on the agenda?
Thirty-five miles from the beach, so not unless there's a tsunami.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Hop in the woodie and head down to the ocean!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The Wednesday night meeting went pretty well, considering it was the first time it's been tried this way. One member drove up from San Diego and saw how the process worked, so we might eventually be sending a similar notice out to the folks in Chargers country. Lee will be back in California in a few months, with a meeting over in west L.A. County, and we'll get the word out on that as well. Finally, it's likely that a chapters will be set up soon in northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland) and in the Baltimore/Washington area. If you're a PFRA member and want to have some brewskis with PFRA members who know who Nagurski and Gatski are, let us know.