Colts Propose 9-point Play?

RogerCooper

Colts Propose 9-point Play?

Post by RogerCooper »

LJP

Re: Colts Propose 9-point Play?

Post by LJP »

The Colts bonus kick proposal is for the 2015 pre-season, so experimental. I don't really buy their reasoning that it "adds incentive for more two-point attempts" and it would seem to be more beneficial to teams playing indoors.

The Patriots have proposed the line of scrimmage for PAT kicks be moved back to the 15-yard line.

The Bears want both teams to have at least one possession in Overtime, even if a team scores a TD.

The Lions apparently want the game to drag on forever, by having every penalty reviewable.

The Competition Committee wants to allow LBs to wear 40-49 as there are limited numbers available for the position. OK, a change is necessary, but as previously discussed, allowing the LBs to wear the same as the DL, i.e. 50-79 and 90-99, would make more sense, especially with the 3-4 OLBs that often lineup at DE.

Edit: couple of others...

The Competition Committee proposes that eligible receivers who declare themselves as ineligible, will not be able to lineup outside of the tackle box.

Washington want to scrap the Cutdown to 75.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

LJP wrote:The Colts bonus kick proposal is for the 2015 pre-season, so experimental. I don't really buy their reasoning that it "adds incentive for more two-point attempts" and it would seem to be more beneficial to teams playing indoors.

The Patriots have proposed the line of scrimmage for PAT kicks be moved back to the 15-yard line.

The Bears want both teams to have at least one possession in Overtime, even if a team scores a TD.

The Lions apparently want the game to drag on forever, by having every penalty reviewable.

The Competition Committee wants to allow LBs to wear 40-49 as there are limited numbers available for the position. OK, a change is necessary, but as previously discussed, allowing the LBs to wear the same as the DL, i.e. 50-79 and 90-99, would make more sense, especially with the 3-4 OLBs that often lineup at DE.

Edit: couple of others...

The Competition Committee proposes that eligible receivers who declare themselves as ineligible, will not be able to lineup outside of the tackle box.

Washington want to scrap the Cutdown to 75.
currently LBers can wear 90-99. But not 60-79 . . .
mwald

Post by mwald »

Interesting proposal. They must be very optimistic about their offense this year.
LJP

Post by LJP »

JohnTurney wrote:currently LBers can wear 90-99. But not 60-79 . . .
In a previous thread about Retired Numbers we had discussed the numbering system and I suggested then that there should be some simple changes (WRs also wearing 1-9 and LBs also 60-79, etc) to free up more numbers. With 3-4 OLBs often lining up in a 2 or 3-point stance at DE, they should also be allowed to wear the same numbers as the DEs. The NFL previously changed the numbering system to allow DEs to wear numbers in the 50s for the same reason, i.e. they sometimes play LB. Personally I would scrap the whole system and let them wear what they like.

Couple of other things that I would change...

Reserve/Injured - scrap the existing rules and make it so that players placed on IR before the final cut are out for the season. After that, they have to miss 6 weeks before they can be activated. No restrictions on activations, apart from if you get placed on IR a second time, you are done for the year. The NFL previously changed the rules to stop teams stashing players on IR, but with the advent and subsequent expansion of the Practice Squad, this seems no longer necessary.

Inactive List - reduce the minimum from 6 to 3, allowing 50 active on gameday. Allows for more depth at positions where you have an existing injury concern and means that fewer starters would need to play on Special Teams. Inactive players get paid anyway, so they may as well be playing.

Practice Squad - any player that is not a Vested Veteran should be eligible.

Field Goals - reduce the scoring from 3 to 2 points. More teams would go for it on 4th down rather than just settle for 3.

Conversions - move the line of scrimmage to the 12-yard line for all attempts. Slightly hard kicks. More room for passing plays, although further to go, so somewhat harder. In addition, for parity, the defense should be allowed to score a Safety via a blocked/missed kick return, or interception/fumble return, to the endzone.

Interesting that none of the teams have bothered to propose a change to the "process" rule for completed passes.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

IMO, the silliest suggestion since the college rule of getting one entire point if you manage to somehow return a missed XP to the opposite end zone. From what I understand there would be a 50 yard kick that amounts to a conversion attempt after a conversion attempt after a touchdown. Why stop there? If the kick's good, maybe there could be a third conversion attempt, after the second conversion attempt, after the two point conversion attempt after the touchdown.

Personally, I think a better, more exciting rule would provide for a ten yards or more kicking attempt after scoring; they would kick from their own 35 yard line, and if the ball went at least ten yards and someone on your team recovered it, your team would get possession and try to score... maybe, since the kick would be made on your side of the field they could call it something like an "onside" kick. Hmmm....

Probably the best strategy of all is, don't let your team fall behind by nine points.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:IMO, the silliest suggestion since the college rule of getting one entire point if you manage to somehow return a missed XP to the opposite end zone. From what I understand there would be a 50 yard kick that amounts to a conversion attempt after a conversion attempt after a touchdown. Why stop there? If the kick's good, maybe there could be a third conversion attempt, after the second conversion attempt, after the two point conversion attempt after the touchdown.

Personally, I think a better, more exciting rule would provide for a ten yards or more kicking attempt after scoring; they would kick from their own 35 yard line, and if the ball went at least ten yards and someone on your team recovered it, your team would get possession and try to score... maybe, since the kick would be made on your side of the field they could call it something like an "onside" kick. Hmmm....

Probably the best strategy of all is, don't let your team fall behind by nine points.
I'm with you--I hate gimmicks like this. (I still don't like the 2-point conversion.)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

rhickok1109 wrote:I hate gimmicks like this
Also hate gimmicks, in any sport, especially football. Also don't like the ever expanding roster size.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm SO not for this...'9-pt' possibility! I'm also not for changing a thing with the extra-point play! I definitely agree with what some of you in here said years ago about keeping 'automatic' aspects of the game...'automatic'! The only thing I'd not disagree with changing, is in OT allowing each team to have the ball for at least one possession even if the first team scores a TD. And if the team kicking off scores a safety on the very first OT possession, then let the game continue. If the safety-scoring team scores a 7-pt TD, then all is over. But if they miss the extra-point (only up by 8), then give the other team a chance to tie it for the game to continue/now be sudden-death from there. If the safety-scoring team only kicks a FG or doesn't score at all, then let the other team score a TD or kick a FG respectively to win it right there! JMO. Only thing that needs to change with me. And certainly no extra playoff team unless many more expansion teams get added on!
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by giasyc94 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 pm
"Interesting proposal."
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nf ... /24978269/

What seems to be "interesting" about the proposal is that a number of rather influential and well-placed people spend so much time
with nonsense and / or non-productive matters.
The only proposal that approaches sense is to balance the opportunity to score in OT by allowing each team a possession.
Otherwise, why not just have the coin flip decide the winner. Most of the time the coin flip decides the winner anyway.

Other "options" to the presently ridiculous.

OT - The Overtime Point
Since the game is "Football" - decide it with a kick
Let each team send their Kicker, Holder, and Longsnapper to, say, the 25-yard line.
Toss a coin to see who kicks first or go with Home Team option.
Each trio attempts what would be a FG in regulation. If each is successful, they retreat 5 yards and try from the 30.
This continues until one is successful and the other fails. One Point is awarded - The Overtime Point.
Game Over
HEY!!! Wow! Thought of this while in "preview" - They could SELL this Point.
It could be The Nike Point or The Starter Point or maybe something mundane like The Extra Point?

Numbering - Who really cares what the numbering is on Defense. Let us keep the Offense as-is. If a team has a player they might use
in a two-way situation, they can number him or her accordingly.
Problem Solved.

Detroit - extending the game much longer might make it necesssary to be a two-day event.
Great weekend
1st Half - Saturday, 2nd Half - Sunday, Halftime Party in downtown Detroit on Saturday night. Lotsa empty seats on Sunday.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister