Kevin Mawae
Karl Mecklenburg
Sam Mills
Ed Reed
Richard Seymour
Zach Thomas
Hines Ward
Darren Woodson
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Re: 2019 Pro Football Hall of Fame Semi-Finalists

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Okay, I'm going to take a crack at predicting what fifteen will end up being picked to join Bowlen, Brandt, and Robinson as the (18 total) 2019 finalists...

Steve Atwater
Champ Bailey
Tony Boselli
Isaac Bruce
Don Coryell
Alan Faneca
Tony Gonzalez
Steve Hucthinson
Edgerrin James
Jimmy Johnson
Ty Law
John Lynch
Kevin Mawae
Ed Reed
Zach Thomas
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Interesting competition between Law and Bailey. Hearing that there is sentiment to get Law in and maybe make Bailey wait, but Bailey is so well qualified for 1st ballot that it may not go down that way.

There have been 1st ballot errors in the past, but they are increasing to the point where it means less that before, so shorting a guy, according to some, is not really an issue. So, the sentiment that the Patriots defense of 2000s deserves some recognition.

Seymour will complicate matters somes, so perhaps 2 Pat Defenders cancel each others.

Will be interesting. No dog in fight, other than they screwed another tackle (Mike Kenn, likely the 3rd best pass blocker ever) and there are good OL and my bet is only one gets in. I would hope they'd put in 2 OL this year.

But Edge will get long look, Ike Bruce, good candidates, but Hutch, Faneca and Boselli all just as, if not more qualified
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I see several people who perhaps should be in some day, but none of them jumps out at me as someone who absolutely has to be in the HOF.

If I were a voter, I'd spend a long time looking at the list before making any decisions.
JWL

Post by JWL »

rhickok1109 wrote:I see several people who perhaps should be in some day, but none of them jumps out at me as someone who absolutely has to be in the HOF.

If I were a voter, I'd spend a long time looking at the list before making any decisions.
I agree except for Gonzalez and Reed. Those are the only two on this list who I see as absolute musts for Hall membership. Reed might even be the best free safety of all time. I like Rob Gronkowski as the best tight end of all time but Gonzalez might be in the top five.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

rhickok1109 wrote:I see several people who perhaps should be in some day, but none of them jumps out at me as someone who absolutely has to be in the HOF.

Tony Gonzalez doesn't strike you as this year's "mic drop" first year candidate, like Favre two years ago, and Ray Lewis last year, where no discussion is really necessary?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I hope that Faneca and Hutchinson get this year, and that Mawae and Boselli can be finalists.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

but your not a voter and it really shouldnt take that long
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JohnTurney wrote: Seymour will complicate matters somes, so perhaps 2 Pat Defenders cancel each others.
I'm thinking - fair or not - that none of the 2000s Pats defensive players will ever make Canton. For the very reason you give, put one in you have to put them all in (cancel each other out). Law, Seymour, Harrison, Bruschi, Wilfork, and perhaps my personal favorite of the group (their 'Mean Joe', all-time post-season sack king)...Willie McGinest. As for the "fair or not" beginning of this paragraph, it bothers me to have lean heavy toward 'fair'. I respect them all - no multiple Lombardis without them - but individually, they each sadly come up short. Perhaps you guys placing them all in HOVG in due time may do the trick compensation-wise.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
JohnTurney wrote: Seymour will complicate matters somes, so perhaps 2 Pat Defenders cancel each others.
I'm thinking - fair or not - that none of the 2000s Pats defensive players will ever make Canton. For the very reason you give, put one in you have to put them all in (cancel each other out). Law, Seymour, Harrison, Bruschi, Wilfork, and perhaps my personal favorite of the group (their 'Mean Joe', all-time post-season sack king)...Willie McGinest. As for the "fair or not" beginning of this paragraph, it bothers me to have lean heavy toward 'fair'. I respect them all - no multiple Lombardis without them - but individually, they each sadly come up short. Perhaps you guys placing them all in HOVG in due time may do the trick compensation-wise.
Disagree. I think Ty Law (2/5/00s) and Richard Seymour (3/7/00s) will both get in after a good-sized wait. I’m fine with them getting in, too. The voters love all decade teams for some reason despite their limitations, and both are on one. Rent-a-player Junior Seau is already in. And rent-a-player Darrelle Revis from the 10s teams will also get in easily. I don’t think any of the rest will, though, from those defenses, and rightly not.