NFL 100 All-Time Team

JWL

NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by JWL »

Blue-ribbon panel for NFL All-Time Team revealed

As the final month in the National Football League's 100th Season approaches, the league announced plans today to reveal the 100 greatest players and 10 greatest coaches in NFL history.

The NFL 100 All-Time Team series will premiere on Nov. 22 and continue for six weeks through Week 17 of the regular season. Rich Eisen, Cris Collinsworth and Bill Belichick will reveal the NFL 100 All-Time Team selections by position in each episode beginning at 8 pm ET every Friday night on NFL Network. A live reaction show hosted by Chris Rose, exclusively on NFL Network will follow immediately afterward.
The full article can be read here-
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... m-revealed

Anybody here want to post their own team of 100?
Rupert Patrick

Re: NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I won't post a 100 list, but I'll venture to guess a third of the players on the list will be active players, because they HAVE to show footage of Odell Beckham Jr. and all the other contemporary receivers making one handed catches with the stickum gloves because Paul Warfield and Don Hutson and Jerry Rice never made catches like that.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I won't post a 100 list, but I'll venture to guess a third of the players on the list will be active players, because they HAVE to show footage of Odell Beckham Jr. and all the other contemporary receivers making one handed catches with the stickum gloves because Paul Warfield and Don Hutson and Jerry Rice never made catches like that.
Yup, that's my guess as well. Besides, you can bet there won't likely be any two-way players except perhaps Chuck Bednarik and Don Hutson. These 100-best lists, like the "top-10" shows on the NFL Network, seem destined to have suck-itude written all over them.
JWL

Post by JWL »

bachslunch wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:I won't post a 100 list, but I'll venture to guess a third of the players on the list will be active players, because they HAVE to show footage of Odell Beckham Jr. and all the other contemporary receivers making one handed catches with the stickum gloves because Paul Warfield and Don Hutson and Jerry Rice never made catches like that.
Yup, that's my guess as well. Besides, you can bet there won't likely be any two-way players except perhaps Chuck Bednarik and Don Hutson. These 100-best lists, like the "top-10" shows on the NFL Network, seem destined to have suck-itude written all over them.
I am expecting this to be a legitimate team like the 50th Anniversary Team and the 75th Anniversary Team.

Will there still be celebrities commenting on the players? Maybe, maybe not.

The other top 100 shows were somewhat dopey. Maybe I will be proven wrong but I am expecting more seriousness with this endeavor. Bill Belichick is part of this for crying out loud!
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

bachslunch wrote:
Sammy Baugh should be, and possibly Marion Motley.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I really enjoyed the last one - watched some of the older players like Nagurski a bunch of times trying to figure out which games the footage was from. I thought the production quality was great. Had my fingers crossed for Thorpe footage, but it was like one play probably pregame. I thought it was kind of fun seeing what connection there was between the player and presenter. I do think they had too many QBs. And Amazon says 2011 - not that long ago: https://www.amazon.com/NFL-Top-100-Grea ... B0049985Q4
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I have that DVD set. A decent list for the most part. My only complaints were I think Jim Kelly should have come in toward the end of it, and Larry Wilson should have been in the 40-60 range, but wasn't included at all.
JWL

Post by JWL »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I really enjoyed the last one - watched some of the older players like Nagurski a bunch of times trying to figure out which games the footage was from. I thought the production quality was great. Had my fingers crossed for Thorpe footage, but it was like one play probably pregame. I thought it was kind of fun seeing what connection there was between the player and presenter. I do think they had too many QBs. And Amazon says 2011 - not that long ago: https://www.amazon.com/NFL-Top-100-Grea ... B0049985Q4
That thing was a bit different in that there was no consideration for positions. It was just a list of 100 players.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

who would your picks be at qb?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

rewing84 wrote:who would your picks be at qb?
I'm weak on modern so most wouldn't want my top 100 - Off the top of my head for non-QBs I'd have Guy Chamberlin, Clarke Hinkle, and Cal Hubbard.

For QBs, I'd have some Tailbacks: Al Mahrt, Paddy Driscoll, Benny Friedman, Dutch Clark, and of course Baugh and Graham. Then you add the 5 or 6 others everyone likes and probably stop. I probably don't have room for Favre, Young, Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Moon, Kurt Warner, Jim Kelly, Aikman, Tarkenton, Namath, etc. All players who usually show up.

My point on QBs was I think they had 20+ so it winds up unbalanced. There is a natural tendency to get carried away with skill positions. I rattled off some names and only Hubbard was a lineman, so I did the same thing :)