2023 season, Week 1

racepug

2023 season, Week 1

Post by racepug »

1) I don't know what the deal is with CLE vs. CIN but Joe Burrow's record against the Browns is not impressive. It also seems to me that the Bengals have a habit, under Zac Taylor, of getting off to slow starts (to seasons).

2) WAS won but such a close game against the team that most people figure will be the worst team in the N.F.L. in 2023 does not seem to bode well for them for the rest of the season.

3) Green Bay continues to own "Da Bears" of late (as in: over the last 3 decades). I counted 'em up and if I'm not mistaken the Packers are now 48 - 15 (plus 1 - 0 in the post-season) vs. CHI since Brett Favre became the Packers' starter at QB back in 1992.

4) Time to re-evaluate Bill Belichick? With their loss on Sunday the Patriots are a mere 25 - 25 (plus 0 - 1 in the playoffs) since TB12 left for Tampa Bay.

5) SFO over PIT is Exhibit A on why we should NEVER put much stock in what happens in pre-season.

6) The LAR over SEA is Exhibit B.

7) The Seahawks were abysmal (12 total yards of offense in the 2nd half, 9 of those on an utterly meaningless run on the last play of the game; got to Matthew Stafford only twice all game with NO sacks) against the Rams. Then Sunday night came and the NYG managed to start their 2023 season with an even less impressive performance than SEA had (the Seahawks are at the Giants for Week 4's Monday night game so mark your calendars! :roll: ).

8) Kudos to both the Lions and the Jets - two teams that have each been down for a LONNNNG time but which each now look like they have - if nothing else - confidence and belief in themselves for the first time in ages.
Bryan

Re: 2023 season, Week 1

Post by Bryan »

My favorite stat of Week 1 is Aaron Rodgers being 1-0 as the Jets starting QB.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Jets I believe, will re-sign Flacco. Is Biscuit still available?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Bryan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:48 pm My favorite stat of Week 1 is Aaron Rodgers being 1-0 as the Jets starting QB.
That's balanced by his passing stats: 0-1

The really interesting number is $75 million, fully guaranteed. Nice work if you can get it!
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:56 pm The Jets I believe, will re-sign Flacco. Is Biscuit still available?
They'll say they believe in Zach and roll with him until he throws up all over himself...and he will because he's terrible. There could be QB's available in 4 weeks that are not necessarily on the table now depending how other teams seasons go. Right now they best you might get is a Wentz or a Matt Ryan...but they need a QB. The team is good and it's a slap in the players faces to put someone like Wilson out there long term.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Belichick is not the same without Brady of course...but is still an upper echelon coach (you also have to factor in age today...who would be the same at 70+) but I've also seen enough of him piecing things together during other years in NE (or in years where Brady was more caretaker than feared legend) to know that BB is a great coach. He's really an odd case to evaluate
racepug

Post by racepug »

sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:52 amBelichick is not the same without Brady of course...but is still an upper echelon coach (you also have to factor in age today...who would be the same at 70+) but I've also seen enough of him piecing things together during other years in NE (or in years where Brady was more caretaker than feared legend) to know that BB is a great coach. He's really an odd case to evaluate
Maybe you're right. Maybe the Pats would've been 20 - 30 or 17 - 33 over the last 3+ years with a lesser coach than B.B. at the helm and maybe that hypothetical "lesser coach" would've been fired by now. But it's looking more and more like TB12 had more to do with N.E.'s success from 2001 - 2019 than many were willing to give him credit for.
Last edited by racepug on Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racepug

Post by racepug »

sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:50 amThey'll say they believe in Zach and roll with him until he throws up all over himself
I don't think Robert Saleh has too many options otherwise. Obviously he didn't think that Zach Wilson was the answer or he never would've gone and gotten Aaron Rodgers but what's he supposed to do, now? As you mentioned there are only limited options as far as veteran QBs the Jets can pick up and the head coach isn't going to come out (at least not in public) and say, "Yeah, 'the franchise' went down and now we're screwed." You just can't do that. No - they'll have to soldier on with Zach Wilson at QB and hope that he's improved (considerably) since last season.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With the Colts committed to Richardson, Minshew might be an option besides Trubisky or even Case Keenum, who is third on the depth chart in Houston ... Wentz is done I believe.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

racepug wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:32 pm
sheajets wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:50 amThey'll say they believe in Zach and roll with him until he throws up all over himself
I don't think Robert Saleh has too many options otherwise. Obviously he didn't think that Zach Wilson was the answer or he never would've gone and gotten Aaron Rodgers but what's he supposed to do, now? As you mentioned there are only limited options as far as veteran QBs the Jets can pick up and the head coach isn't going to come out (at least not in public) and say, "Yeah, 'the franchise' went down and now we're screwed." You just can't do that. No - they'll have to soldier on with Zach Wilson at QB and hope that he's improved (considerably) since last season.
To make Rodgers happy, they brought in Nathaniel Hackett to install a new offense, which means that Wilson might as well be a rookie again, so it's hard for him to improve, at least immediately. I wonder if they'll now try to change their offense back to pre-Rodgers. But can Hackett even do that?
Last edited by rhickok1109 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.