It's been a long time since I have been all that impressed with any one team in the NFL......but

lastcat3

It's been a long time since I have been all that impressed with any one team in the NFL......but

Post by lastcat3 »

If Brock Purdy continues to play as consistently through the remainder of the season as he has through the first five games this years 49ers team seems as well rounded as some of the Super Bowl teams from the past.

Watching this 49ers team play is a breath of fresh air for those who kind of prefer the way the league used to be compared to what it largely is now. Where most of the best teams these days have a very mediocre team being led by a great quarterback the 49ers have a good quarterback that is surrounded by an outstanding team.

We'll have to see how the rest of this season goes but this 49ers team is the first team I think I have seen in a long time that could jump into the NFL of the '80's and '90's and be able to hold their own against some of the better teams in the league. In a sense I think they kind of remind me of those Giants teams from the '80's.
racepug

Re: It's been a long time since I have been all that impressed with any one team in the NFL......but

Post by racepug »

They're very good. Personally, I'm pullin' for 'em to win it all. After tonight's dismantling of the N.F.C. entry based in TX I think the only team that can (possibly) keep them from making to the S.B. is Philly and if they do make it back to the S.B. I think the only A.F.C. team that would stand a chance against them is K.C. (primarily because of Patrick Mahomes). As I mentioned in another thread apparently the 49ers have lots of players in "contract years" so it might very well be "S.B. championship or bust" for SFO this season.
JameisBrownston

Re: It's been a long time since I have been all that impressed with any one team in the NFL......but

Post by JameisBrownston »

SF is like this a lot. They've been to Super Bowls with Colin Kaepernick and Jimmy Garoppolo at QB. Feels like they haven't much changed their philosophy since the Montana era. In fact, the entire NFC West minus Arizona seems to have cornered the market on this kind of team in the past decade or so. The Rams made a SB with Goff (but mostly Gurley) and won with Stafford (but mostly Kupp), and then there's the Legion of Boom with pre-prime Russ.

This Niners team is so far appearing to be the best of all of them, though. It feels fair to wonder if Purdy will win his first 25 career starts in which he ended the game capable of throwing. How he continues to look this impeccable eludes my comprehension, but at this point, one has to admit he's exactly everything he showed in last year's stretch run, it's not a flash in the pan and it's not going away. Feels like another Kurt Warner story, the comparison I find more apt than the ubiquitous Brady. On the field, though, I'd liken him to, well, Montana himself; he'll never be an amazing fantasy football QB, just a solid mid-QB1, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's often one of the most efficient passers of this decade.

Hopefully it just doesn't get rocky in the middle like Warner did. It's hard to see things going that far south at this point, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him have a couple very pedestrian seasons sprinkled in like, say, Bart Starr, another standard bearer of this playstyle. He might be one of those guys who kind of meanders his way to a HOF career; maybe not as circuitously as Warner, but also not like these guys on half the teams in the AFC right now who are all kind of doing the Drew Brees career arc putting up huge counting numbers every year without fail.

I think he'll be more frequently considered an elite QB in the league than guys like Stafford, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Rivers, who are pretty much strictly compilers aside from one or two great seasons apiece, but will receive that perception while often putting up lower raw numbers per season than that usually non-elite group. It's actually hard to find a more recent comparison than Montana for this.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Purdy is playing well and has adapted to the scheme and coaching well but fans cant look too far ahead just yet. This team has been a contender since 2019 and still needs to win it all. Purdy is well on his way but still needs to stay healthy and give this team a bye and home-field advantage. Still, with a 12-1 record as a starter--though he also came off the bench to beat Miami last year--this team definitely responds to him, which is what good QBs do and maybe this can be the year where the York family can finally be embraced by the rest of the owners and meet expectations with a championship, though Philly, Buffalo, KC, Miami and yes, Cincinatti, will have a say in what happens.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I get the vibe that if Purdy stays healthy the whole way, with the rest of the starters basically still intact, and SF still doesn’t win-it-all this February, then Kyle will never win-it-all as a HC.

Then again, what do I know? After getting eliminated by the Jags, I thought Elway would never win a SB. Same with “Peyton’s never going to win a SB” after the Steelers knocked out the Colts in ’05.

As I opined before more than once - San Fran with Jimmy G was good enough to beat the Chiefs in ’19, so even more-so there’s no reason to pull off a Lombardi this year with Brock playing as he is. San Fran is the best now after five games with the Eagles at - no - not ‘1b’, but a simple #2.
JWL

Post by JWL »

racepug wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:32 am the N.F.C. entry based in TX

Typing "Dallas" would save some keystrokes.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

I am no longer impressed with the 49ers. Purdy was horrible today.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

They were due to lose anyway. Purdy isnt ready to break SF/Montana records just yet but that game blew up many parlays today. With players going down like flies, how long could Samuel and McCaffrey be out?
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Lol, after starting this thread I thought to myself 'it would be funny if they lost their next game'. Lol, and they did. Which is why it's good not to start threads about individual teams and how good or bad they are until the seasons are over with.

In anycase the test will be in how the 49ers respond to this. They don't have an extremely easy schedule coming up and if they can go on another string of victories that will be impressive. But they do need to stay relatively healthy as Purdy can't cover up holes in the roster like some of the top qb's in the league can.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Despite Purdy's decidedly mediocre play today the 49ers had that game in hand until the refs made a particularly egregious call on a third and long for "unsportsmanlike conduct" on a impossible-to-avoid hit on a receiver running a crossing pattern (who ran at the defender).

I don't want to sound like an upset fan (which I admit I am) but I don't want to watch referees "play" for 3 hours.
Whatever game they're playing today sure isn't the football I know.
Heck, I don't even know what a catch is anymore...

I turned the game off with 3:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter and I don't know when I'll be going back again.