Notable 5-0 starts (then losing sixth game)

74_75_78_79_

Notable 5-0 starts (then losing sixth game)

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I did a '4-0 starts' thread a bit ago.

Well, in regards to both the Forty Niners & Eagles losing their firsts today, what other teams have started '5-0' then losing their next game (okay, the sixth game could be a tie as well)?

The only one I've come up with for now, without yet researching, are the 1993 Saints. Breathing their last breath of contender-ship under Jim Mora, NO starts off at that very record winning the opener vs 'Buddy Ball' Houston along with beating San Fran three weeks later! After finishing 12-4 the year prior, with all four defeats by a grand total of 13 points, things had to look to be even better this year! That's what I, and others I knew, remember thinking at the time.

They had themselves a bye week before going into Pittsburgh who, after losing their first two, would be riding a three-game win-streak going in. But I was worried. But all for naught for the 'Burgh in Cowher's second season would put up quite a convincer, 37-14! En route to his DPOY selection, Rod Woodson had two INTs with one of them, the first score of the game, being returned for a 63-yard TD.

Mora's Saints would go on to win their 6th and then 7th games to bring their record to both 6-2 and then 7-4 respectively, and then the bottom fell out. They'd lose their next four, FWIW win their finale to finish 8-8, but never experience being above-500 again in the remainder of Jim Mora's time in the Big Easy. In fact, the Saints would start...0-5 in '95!

No other examples other than them, or those two who lost today, at the top of my mind.

Sure enough one will pop right up right after I post this.
Mark

Re: Notable 5-0 starts (then losing sixth game)

Post by Mark »

1989 Rams started 5-0 including a win over the eventual champion 49ers and then lost 4 straight.

1971 Washington started 5-0 in George Allen's first year and then lost at Kansas City in game Charley Taylor was lost for the rest of the season while scoring a TD before halftime.

1986 Washington started 5-0 before losing at Dallas in what would be Mark Moseley's last game with team.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Mark wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:45 pm 1989 Rams started 5-0 including a win over the eventual champion 49ers and then lost 4 straight.

1971 Washington started 5-0 in George Allen's first year and then lost at Kansas City in game Charley Taylor was lost for the rest of the season while scoring a TD before halftime.

1986 Washington started 5-0 before losing at Dallas in what would be Mark Moseley's last game with team.
Shame on me! I would know of the '89 Rams - I'm sure I've written of them here - but totally forgot by the time of starting this thread. Likely Robinson's best Ram team! Beat SF at the 'Stick, 13-12. Yes, they lost four-in-a-row but bounced back real big at Tuna's expense, 31-10, in their tenth game. They beat the G-men the year prior by 14. And, yes, beat them at the Meadowlands in the '89 NFC divisional round.

And, funny, I just the other day watched a docu of George Allen's first season in DC! I should have known that too! Right under my nose.

The '86 Schroeder installment? I think I may have had a few brief moments of being aware but, perhaps understandably, forgot.

Great knowledge/reminder just the same!

I did, actually, think of Pardee's '78 installment - and the 'Dolly Parton Game' within that start - but then remembered it was a 6-0 start instead!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The first team I ever "followed", the 1980 Bills. Were the last undefeated team at 5-0.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Jets actually started 5-0 in 2004 before losing a tough 13-7 game in New England to the undefeated Patriots who improved to 6-0.

Patriots would lose to Pittsburgh the following week
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

In HC Chuck Fairbanks' second season with the team, the 1974 Patriots started 5-0. Highlighting this stretch were home wins over the defending champ Dolphins (34-24 on opening day) and the defending NFC West Champion Rams (20-14).

After losing a close one in Week 6 (30-28) to the playoff-bound Bills, they beat the Vikes the next week to start 6-1 (the Bob Windsor game) before losing six of their last seven to finish 7-7. Six of their losses were by seven points or less, however, and it was a little sneak preview as to what would come in 1976.