Some thoughts on next year

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

Re: Some thoughts on next year

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The idea is that this would be a Senior catch-up circumstance with at least one player nominated from each decade.
I would LOVE an idea like this for the 100th anniversary.

I've mentioned before, an I idea I've had is to split the senior nominees into two categories. Every year have a committee nominate one player who's career ended 25-50 years ago. Another committee (or even the same committee, whatever) nominate one other who's career ended over 50 years ago.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The idea is that this would be a Senior catch-up circumstance with at least one player nominated from each decade.
I would LOVE an idea like this for the 100th anniversary.

I've mentioned before, an I idea I've had is to split the senior nominees into two categories. Every year have a committee nominate one player who's career ended 25-50 years ago. Another committee (or even the same committee, whatever) nominate one other who's career ended over 50 years ago.
Both ideas would go a long way toward correcting past wrongs.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:Hutchinson is the best of the lineman, though Mawae and Faneca are both fully qualified. Hutch was a borderline 1st ballot guy, by the old standards very few guards in NFL history were 6-time All-pros and his scouting tape, let's call it was great. A good short trapper, and drive blocker and also excelled at pass protection most years, he did have one year that was off, allowed like 7 sacks, but it was an anomaly.
I thought it was odd that none of the Talk of Fame guys said Hutchinson was the best OL candidate this year. One guy said Faneca, another said Boselli. I thought Hutchinson was the best OG when he played and would probably be a 1st ballot guy. Aside from his honors, he was consistently great at everything. I figured he'd have more support for the HOF.

Contributor for 2019 should be Pat Summerall...kicked one of the greatest FGs in NFL history...helped produce the greatest NFL Films work ever (1970-1975 Week in Review shows with Brookshier)...best play-by-play announcer in NFL history...voice of Golden Tee arcade games...his list of accomplishments are virtually endless.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Great thoughts by everyone.

I think a couple questions to consider about next year's incoming candidates:

-Who and/or How many are first-ballot guys or potentially first ballot? If there are some, then they might take votes away. How many votes do the 2018 electees "free up" for guys that were close and that could get in next year?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Bryan wrote:Contributor for 2019 should be Pat Summerall...kicked one of the greatest FGs in NFL history...helped produce the greatest NFL Films work ever (1970-1975 Week in Review shows with Brookshier)...best play-by-play announcer in NFL history...voice of Golden Tee arcade games...his list of accomplishments are virtually endless.
I think Summerall would be a great choice, him or Steve Sabol.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen