Who was a better defensive tackle?

JoeZagorski

Who was a better defensive tackle?

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey guys: In your opinion, who was a better defensive tackle and why? Bob Lilly or Alan Page. Thanks for your insight and remarks.
Joe Zagorski
coachtj

Re: Who was a better defensive tackle?

Post by coachtj »

....rather than state the obvious since both just great, great players....technique wise how did they achieve. both quick out of their stance; page used the strength in his hands and arms to get to the gap and penetrate into the backfield. his pursuit angles were solid, and his speed on the pass rush just outstanding. was adequate at the end of his career with the bears though he was probably one of the lightest d-lineman in all of football. learning how to defend the trap play was the real challenge for page. lilly as just average as a defensive end since he lacked the burst of speed necessary for success in rushing the passer. when aligned at right defensive tackle in the "flex" he was forced to deal with the double team, and though he was not built like a body builder, he was a rock at the point of attack, then used his hands and arms to throw blockers to the side, and pursue. lilly took excellent angles and was outstanding in run pursuit(even though he lacked speed)and had a non-stop motor. adequate as a pass rusher since he would force his way into the backfield .....he was effective, but was never going to have big sack totals. attempting to trap him was folly since he was a stalwart at the point of attack and read plays quickly. both men are extremely intelligent with their cleats on(off the field also). the packers used the "sucker" play on him in the ice bowl(can only be run once)because he was so smart.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

That is a good question, and it is fair comparison as both were RDTs and both played some end early in their career, Lilly more than Page. Lilly was likely more country-strong and Page maybe a hair quicker. I've interviewed both and Lilly says he was about a 4.8, Page says he never ran faster than 5.1 in the forty.

Lilly played run better, as the scheme in Dallas was run-stopping first as they used the Flex defense, which often had Lilly about a yard of the LOS. Page played in freewheeling system where he could line up anywhere from the 1 tech to the 4i technique, it was his decision. He shot gaps, and was so quick he was very successful in a penetrating style, whereas Lilly only got to penetrate on passing downs and the times it was Flex strong and he happened to get to lineup ron on the LOS.

Their "honors" are very similar, except Page was once and MVP and twice a NFC Defensive player of the year. Their All-Pros and Pro Bowls very similar. Lilly a first-ballot HOFer and Page should have been, but was dinged for the 4 Super Bowl losses.

If there were a Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1964 Lilly would have likely won it, and in 1966, he got a lot of votes and I think was close if not the runner-up in 1966. Page was a more successful pass rusher, with 148.5 career sacks, Lilly was at 94, but in 1973 and 1974, Lilly was taken out on passing downs, though he never knew why. He told me he was a better pass rusher than run defender in his last few years, but Landry saw it differently.

Of the left tackles, Olsen and Mean Joe are a neck-and-neck kind of thing, just like Lilly and Page as RDTs. You could pick any two of the four and not be wrong.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JohnTurney wrote:Of the left tackles, Olsen and Mean Joe are a neck-and-neck kind of thing, just like Lilly and Page as RDTs. You could pick any two of the four and not be wrong.
My thinking exactly. Rather than picking one (or two) over the others, I'm comfortable saying they were the four best and leaving it at that.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Great responses by all. Thanks guys! Happy New Year!

Joe Zagorski
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Little to add other than surprise that Lilly was faster in the 40 than Page, I assume Page was 1) Being modest, and 2) was faster at a 10 yard than a 40. Their very different styles make them difficult to compare, almost as difficult as comparing Justin Smith and Dwight Freeney in the 2000's (Page was way better than Freeney BTW).

The single thing that stands out to me with the four best DT's that ever played is the intelligence, between Page, Olsen, Lilly and Greene, there's not an unintelligent guy among them. In fact, they're all really smart guys on and off the field, that's very impressive.

What's interesting in watching film is that Page is fast with his legs and powerful in his upper body - that was lost to him as he aged and lost weight and started running marathons. Lilly was literally country strong - strong all over.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

NWebster wrote:Little to add other than surprise that Lilly was faster in the 40 than Page, I assume Page was 1) Being modest, and 2) was faster at a 10 yard than a 40. Their very different styles make them difficult to compare, almost as difficult as comparing Justin Smith and Dwight Freeney in the 2000's (Page was way better than Freeney BTW).

The single thing that stands out to me with the four best DT's that ever played is the intelligence, between Page, Olsen, Lilly and Greene, there's not an unintelligent guy among them. In fact, they're all really smart guys on and off the field, that's very impressive.

What's interesting in watching film is that Page is fast with his legs and powerful in his upper body - that was lost to him as he aged and lost weight and started running marathons. Lilly was literally country strong - strong all over.
Of course, it's the difference between speed and quickness. You don't need sprinter speed to split defenders and run 6 or 7 yards to the QB :)
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

NWebster wrote:Little to add other than surprise that Lilly was faster in the 40 than Page, I assume Page was 1) Being modest, and 2) was faster at a 10 yard than a 40. Their very different styles make them difficult to compare, almost as difficult as comparing Justin Smith and Dwight Freeney in the 2000's (Page was way better than Freeney BTW).

I've seen a film clip of Bob Lilly catching O.J. Simpson (who had just taken a pitch out and was moving) and throwing O.J. for a loss.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

NWebster wrote:What's interesting in watching film is that Page is fast with his legs and powerful in his upper body - that was lost to him as he aged and lost weight and started running marathons. Lilly was literally country strong - strong all over.
Whats interesting to me is how well Page played at the end of his career while he was on the Bears. You'd think if anyone would have been affected by the new pass block rules, larger OLs, and been slowed down/injured from the aging process, it would have been Page. But he was still effective and durable at age 36.

As great as he was, I think Page is underrated. Lilly was stronger at the point-of-attack, but Page was such a ferocious penetrator. I'd say Lilly was probably better than Page, but not by much. Proving the idiocy of All-Decade teams, Page was a 2nd team 1970's DT behind...Bob Lilly.