(Stupid) Question I Have as a Younger Fan

BD Sullivan

Re: (Stupid) Question I Have as a Younger Fan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The hashmarks were moved in before the 1972 season, with the end result being a surge in 1,000-yard rushers--including the 2,003 gained by Orenthal James the following year.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

In the ‘45 NFL Championship Game in Cleveland, Washington’s Sammy Baugh dropped back into his own end zone to pass, hit the goal post with the throw and the ball bounced back into the end zone. Under the rules at the time, it was a safety and the Redskins ended up losing the game 15-14. In the off-season that followed, Washington owner George Preston Marshall pushed for the tule change making it an incomplete pass.

It was the Rams’ last game in Cleveland. It is one of the most interesting championship games in league history, with the field surrounded by bales of hay, fires in the stands and a flooded locker room at halftime.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Mark

Post by Mark »

For the 1945 championship another interesting thing is Washington had sneakers but the Rams did not. The Rams coach convinced Washington's coach DeGroot to not use them so the game would be played on equal footing and apparently Marshall fired him for that reason. One thing I have never read was why the Rams did not have sneakers.