The Stupidity Of Thursday Night Football

Brian wolf

The Stupidity Of Thursday Night Football

Post by Brian wolf »

Yep, due to the greed of the NFL owners, networks and gambling, Thursday night games still go on, while everyone insists the game is dedicated to player safety and integrity over profits.

Both Mark Andrews and Joe Burrow are lost for the season as a result of last night's game and I wish I could have tracked all the major injuries to players since the package's inception. Its incredible and needs to stop. Players need a full 5-6 days rest. Please fans, boycott TNF !

Could the Bengals try to pry the Red Rifle from Carolina? Fans who gamble like myself also question why Burrow wasnt on the injury report when he was seen wearing a compression glove on his right hand before the game? Did he have a prior injury? Burrow claims he wore it to reduce swelling during a high altitude flight but we will probably never know the truth.

As for Andrews, he was off to another PB year--hard to be All-Pro again with Kelce--but is done on a possible hip-drop tackle, which is still legal and talked about more than the wisdom of keeping TNF.
7DnBrnc53

Re: The Stupidity Of Thursday Night Football

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

The owners and their greed is sad, although a lot of people defend it, unfortunately (even though the owners don't care about the sport at all).

Not only would I get rid of TNF, but I would get rid of SNF every week. Make Monday Night Great Again!!!!
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Teams that play on Thursday Night should be the ones coming off the bye week. So 11 days rest. The matchups could be division rivals by having all the teams in that division getting byes the week before.
Week 1 and after weeks 5-11 is 8 games
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Richard Sherman went off at length a few years ago about how impossible it is for players to be physically ready to play Thursday after a Sunday game. Even for the most finely conditioned athletes in the world, the aches and bruises from the previous game are still healing. Throw in how dire the Thursday matchups usually are, and it's a recipe for some really bad football. Not that anyone outside of a few lonely voices like ours necessarily cares.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I generally agree---not a fan of TNF for a variety of reasons. That said, the Lions and Cowboys have been playing a Thursday (Turkey Day) game for many decades. Those 2 teams are accustomed to it, I guess (it helps that they are hosting instead of traveling), while visiting teams invariably grumble about the shortened week and being on the road to boot.

I'm afraid Wednesday Night Football from Frankfurt will be a thing one day.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

The end goal, probably, is an 18-game schedule with two bye weeks and a game on every night of the week. I'm sure a scheduling wizard could see to it that no team has fewer than six days' rest between games. It would destroy the rhythm of a football season that we've known for a century, but big deal. Money to be made.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Citizen wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:24 am The end goal, probably, is an 18-game schedule with two bye weeks and a game on every night of the week. I'm sure a scheduling wizard could see to it that no team has fewer than six days' rest between games. It would destroy the rhythm of a football season that we've known for a century, but big deal. Money to be made.
Yeah, things ain't been right since the league hired that marketing advisor from Beijing, Cha-Ching. ;)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Citizen wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:24 am The end goal, probably, is an 18-game schedule with two bye weeks and a game on every night of the week. I'm sure a scheduling wizard could see to it that no team has fewer than six days' rest between games. It would destroy the rhythm of a football season that we've known for a century, but big deal. Money to be made.
and the Super Bowl on Presidents Day weekend
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

As I've written before: American businessmen and politicians will make any decision, or not make a decision, on whether it will make more money. Even a relatively small amount.

Al Davis was often called, and claimed to be, something of a "rebel" or "against the establishment." But every gambit Davis pulled off was supposed to make him richer.