SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Brian wolf

SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Post by Brian wolf »

Good thread with SB teams that could, or should have three-peated. What about SB Champions that could, or should have went back-to-back as champions? A look back ...

1969 Chiefs -- In hindsight, I felt this team should have repeated as champions for 1970, following GB before the Dolphins. They destroyed the eventual champion Colts on MNF but just weren't the same team as the year went on. A very disappointing season for HC Hank Stram, who couldn't find a back-up to help QB Len Dawson.

1971 Cowboys -- Fans can only wonder if Staubach could have led the team to a back-to-back championship in 1972 but an injury led to Craig Morton leading the team into the playoffs, where he fizzled out against SF. Staubach won an incredible comeback but the team got outplayed against the Redskins the next week. Letdown or not, the game would have been more a defensive slugfest had Landry started Herb Adderley at CB over Charlie Waters, who was burned badly by Charley Taylor.

1977 Cowboys -- The team had a great chance to repeat in 1978 but still could not cover Lynn Swann, who I felt, was the MVP of the early 1979 SB for Pittsburgh. His TD snare of Bradshaw's bullet in the end zone, was one of the best catches I have ever seen, though I wanted Dallas to win.

1985 Bears -- I thought about mentioning the 83 Raiders and 84 49ers, but with an aging Plunkett, the Raiders probably weren't going to repeat and though the 49ers had a very disappointing 1985 season, the Bears were poised to ascend following a successful 1984 season. The Bears should have repeated in 1986 but with Buddy Ryan gone and McHahon hurt, the team petered out in postseason.

1994 49ers -- When the Niners upset the Cowboys and faced the Falcons to end the 1995 regular season, I felt they had the momentum to possibly repeat but a loss to the Falcons, led by Hebert rather than Jeff George, gave the Cowboys the chance to gain home-field advantage in the playoffs. The Packers came to SF and man-handled the 49ers in the divisional round with Brett Favre playing his best game to that point. Did SF overlook the Packers thinking about Dallas?

1996 Packers -- Should have repeated but took the Broncos for granted in early 1998. Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren would separate after the 1998 season. Brett Favre would only play in one more NFC Championship game the rest of his career in GB.

1999 Rams -- Fluke or not, the Rams had the offensive firepower to repeat in 2000 but after Vermeil retired, the defense got worse as the season progressed and injuries to Kurt Warner took their toll by playoff time.

2002 Bucs -- This team could have repeated in 2003 but a MNF collapse to the Colts sent them reeling, while Keyshawn Johnson became a thorn in Gruden's neck--leading to his suspension--as this team had a horrible season. Easily a candidate for one of the most disappointing seasons' following a championship.

2006 Colts -- After finally getting by the Patriots and winning it all, I felt Peyton Manning could have this team poised for a repeat but with injuries to Marvin Harrison and as usual, Bob Sanders, with Randy Moss rejuvenating the Patriots, the Colts fizzled out at the end of the year, being upset by the Chargers in the playoffs. I felt they looked ahead to playing the undefeated Patriots.

2010 Packers -- Many people believed this team should have repeated in 2011 after a 15-1 season but took the 9-7 Giants for granted. A humiliating loss at Lambeau Field. Everyone I knew got hosed betting on this game but had a feeling the Giants would play better than people realized and kept my money in my pocket.

2013 Seahawks -- They should have repeated but the Legion Of Boom just wasn't the same at the end of the 2014 season and it showed against the Packers and Patriots. Could Lynch have won the SB game with one more carry?

2016 Patriots -- Probably should have repeated but also should have lost to the Jaguars instead of the Eagles with a hot back-up QB in Foles. Many believed this game was fixed with HC Belichick benching CB Malcolm Butler but Brady himself played a great game--until his lost fumble.
74_75_78_79_

Re: SB Champions That Should Have Repeated

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I would have mentioned the 2008 New York Giants. But great list and descriptions just the same!

I've said it a few times here before and even recently that, despite me being a Steeler-fan, the defending-Champs who beat the undefeated Pats last year were the best team in the league the 2008 regular season. Yes, perhaps not by much. Had that close win at Pittsburgh gone the other way, then I wouldn't have seen the Giants as the best. It either would have been Titans or Steelers. And, yes, Tennessee beat Pittsburgh lopsided at home, but I didn't make too much of it. Correct me if wrong, but I thought at the time, and still think now, that they already clinched a 1st Rd bye going into that penultimate week. No, I didn't think they phoned it in with top-seed still at stake, but my attitude simply was "wait until they play each other in the playoffs" which didn't happen anyway thanks to the Ravens.

Maybe the Steelers beat NYG in a rematch SBXLIII. My guess is that NYG would have been favored being that they did beat them and they were defending-Champs. But I think the PS would have been no more than 2.5 points; likely two-or-even-less. But the Eagles knocking NYG out - which I would have never expected - did help. I think Giants win at home vs 'Zona in the NFCCG and it would have been even harder for the 'Burgh to avenge things two weeks later. Doable but even tougher than what the Cards actually brought to them.

You'd think if NYG got it done the year before as a 10-6 wild card, then they would have done it again as a 12-4 top-seed. Coughlin likely is in Canton already and the "Eli should get in" argument (which I, respectfully, don't agree with in real-time without this hypothetical) would be even stronger. Sure enough that 'Manning' winning three Rings for a biggest market team - two of those vs Hoodie/Brady's Pats; one of those making it...18-1! - is already in as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good perspective on that 2008 Giants squad. They had their chance but the Eagles played inspired before flopping against the Cardinals in that championship game. After beating NY, I can understand Leonard being so disappointed there wasnt an eventual Philly- Pittsburgh SB.

I thought about including the 1976 Raiders as well, yet like Dallas five years prior, the teams spent so long trying to finally win it all that complacency was bound to happen trying to defend their championships. Who would have believed that Craig Morton would have came in and helped a monster defense win 12 games for Denver?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:05 am Good thread with SB teams that could, or should have three-peated. What about SB Champions that could, or should have went back-to-back as champions? A look back ...

1969 Chiefs -- In hindsight, I felt this team should have repeated as champions for 1970, following GB before the Dolphins. They destroyed the eventual champion Colts on MNF but just weren't the same team as the year went on. A very disappointing season for HC Hank Stram, who couldn't find a back-up to help QB Len Dawson.

1971 Cowboys -- Fans can only wonder if Staubach could have led the team to a back-to-back championship in 1972 but an injury led to Craig Morton leading the team into the playoffs, where he fizzled out against SF. Staubach won an incredible comeback but the team got outplayed against the Redskins the next week. Letdown or not, the game would have been more a defensive slugfest had Landry started Herb Adderley at CB over Charlie Waters, who was burned badly by Charley Taylor.

1977 Cowboys -- The team had a great chance to repeat in 1978 but still could not cover Lynn Swann, who I felt, was the MVP of the early 1979 SB for Pittsburgh. His TD snare of Bradshaw's bullet in the end zone, was one of the best catches I have ever seen, though I wanted Dallas to win.
I agree that the Chiefs were disappointing in 1970, but they had a decent backup QB in Mike Livingston. I think Dawson's own ineffectiveness was part of the problem, as was Stram's decision to offload Mike Garrett after fumbling in the opener against the Vikes. KC's offense was mediocre even with Otis Taylor.

71 Cowboys would have had to gone through the undefeated Dolphins to repeat. Could they have? I don't think so, but it would have been a much better game IMO than Dolphins-Skins.

78 Cowboys not only couldn't cover Swann, they couldn't cover Stallworth, either. Stallworth had 3 receptions for 115 yards and 2 TDs in the 1st half. He had leg cramps and couldn't play in the 2nd half, which was a big reason why Dallas kept it remotely close.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:48 pm
Brian wolf wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:05 am Good thread with SB teams that could, or should have three-peated. What about SB Champions that could, or should have went back-to-back as champions? A look back ...

I agree that the Chiefs were disappointing in 1970, but they had a decent backup QB in Mike Livingston. I think Dawson's own ineffectiveness was part of the problem, as was Stram's decision to offload Mike Garrett after fumbling in the opener against the Vikes. KC's offense was mediocre even with Otis Taylor.

71 Cowboys would have had to gone through the undefeated Dolphins to repeat. Could they have? I don't think so, but it would have been a much better game IMO than Dolphins-Skins.

78 Cowboys not only couldn't cover Swann, they couldn't cover Stallworth, either. Stallworth had 3 receptions for 115 yards and 2 TDs in the 1st half. He had leg cramps and couldn't play in the 2nd half, which was a big reason why Dallas kept it remotely close.
Correct me, but I think from the mid-1970s onwards, the secondary was the Cowboys (and Tom Landry's) Achilles Heel. Even in the 1980s when Everson Walls led the NFL in interceptions three times, it appeared that most weeks they were beaten by along pass for TD.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good points ... imagine though if KC had a backup like Lamonica with Buffalo or Parilli with the Jets? A passer to challenge defenses and help Dawson out. Livingston didn't exactly worry defenses when he came in.

Yeah, Stallworth had that long TD on a screen and the Cowboys still couldn't keep Swann from killing them in the second half.
Could Mel Renfro had made a difference? The Cowboys got slower every year despite the creativity of their Flex.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

82 Raiders might have been derailed with the strike and crazy 82 playoffs. There are probably other teams that could have repeated by winning the previous year.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Of course the Colts had their shot at repeating in 1971 but couldn't match the big plays of the Dolphins in that championship game. With Hinton and Bulaich hurt in 1972, the wheels came off their offense and Unitas was coming to the end. Letting go of Roy Jefferson might have been a mistake.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

'78 Cowboys were sooo close. If Jackie just hangs onto that pass it might have changed the momentum.
We all remember the '90 49ers were painfully close to registering a three-peat. All they had to do was run out the clock.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnR wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:07 pm '78 Cowboys were sooo close. If Jackie just hangs onto that pass it might have changed the momentum.
We all remember the '90 49ers were painfully close to registering a three-peat. All they had to do was run out the clock.
yeah, Dallas had a shot. They gave Pittsburgh's defense a run for their money ... but even though one score late, Smith's drop cost 4 points... I think Steelers the better team but the Cowboys shot themselves in the foot a couple of times.

But still, the Cowboys got breaks, too - forcing a defensive score ... I always wondered if Hollywood snorting liquid cocaine during the game was a good or bad thing for his performance.