Something dumb that you remember about watching the NFL

Bryan

Something dumb that you remember about watching the NFL

Post by Bryan »

After the Rams won the Super Bowl in 1999, they changed their uniforms and had more of a muted gold than their previous yellow color. I didn't like the new uniforms, in part because I loved their traditional uniforms, but the person who probably hated them the most was Pat Summerall. Isaac Bruce was #80, Tory Holt was #88, and Summerall could not read their numbers well enough to tell them apart. The entire broadcast would be "Holt with the catch...no Bruce....no, it's Holt."
Brian wolf

Re: Something dumb that you remember about watching the NFL

Post by Brian wolf »

The Oilers changing their name to the Titans. I get Bud Adams trying to create a new image and identity for the fans in Nashville and TN, but ...

a) You don't get rid of a name with a history, including the first two AFL champions and
b) You damn sure don't adapt another AFL team name from a team that went bankrupt in it's first three years.

And yes, there actually is oil in TN ...

Dallas adapting those stupid throwback uniforms from their inaugural NFL season where they went 0-11-1. Every now and then might be okay but Jerry Jones loves making whatever profits he can from them. They not only have lost crucial games including playoffs in these uniforms but make me want to barf every time I see them on Thanksgiving. Please bury them for good, Jerrah!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Speaking of the above post about Cowboys throwback uniforms. I think the first year we saw any sort of throwbacks was in 1994 for the 75th anniversary. Here's the dumb thing I remember though... In team's feeble attempts to create retro helmets, they just peeled current logos off and slapped on old ones. For example the Jets had a white oval logo on a green shell. The Bills had a white standing buffalo on a red shell. Neither of these teams had that exact helmet design at any point in their existence.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Tuck Rule game ... damn the ruling and interpretation of the "incomplete pass" ... Brady clearly brought the ball down from a passing motion making him a RUNNER who fumbled the ball into the Raiders hands. No way that was an intended pass.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:31 am The Tuck Rule game ... damn the ruling and interpretation of the "incomplete pass" ... Brady clearly brought the ball down from a passing motion making him a RUNNER who fumbled the ball into the Raiders hands. No way that was an intended pass.
Exactly. That's what I have been saying.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:31 am The Tuck Rule game ... damn the ruling and interpretation of the "incomplete pass" ... Brady clearly brought the ball down from a passing motion making him a RUNNER who fumbled the ball into the Raiders hands. No way that was an intended pass.
Still on the short list of the worst calls I've ever seen.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

It was a correct interpretation of a dumb rule that was on the books at the time and has since been changed.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:51 am
It was a correct interpretation of a dumb rule that was on the books at the time and has since been changed.
Exactly. It's tiresome that people who don't understand the rule continue to call the officials wrong.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rhickok1109 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:28 am

Exactly. It's tiresome that people who don't understand the rule continue to call the officials wrong.
The issue for me isn't that. It's that I'd seen a lot of football and never hed seen it called before ... maybe you did, but it was something that was a surprise. It meant they were wrong for years and years and that was when they started enforcing it.

Maybe there were instances before, I am sure there will be examples of it. But I sure never saw it.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like a former Raider coach once said "when is a fumble not a fumble?" ... Get over it Ralph, the officials were wrong!