2015 Steelers reminiscent of '88?

74_75_78_79_

2015 Steelers reminiscent of '88?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

A bit of déjà vu, it seems. Going into the '88 season, if you can remember, John Stallworth and Donnie Shell were more-so asked to resign than they, themselves, actually retiring on their own accord. Pinney, Cole, and Dunn 's contracts weren't renewed that off-season either. It seems like we're seeing the same thing 27 years later this very off-season with Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, and James Harrison. An exodus of Steelers, primarily defenders, may be heading to Tennessee via Dick Lebeau.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BD Sullivan

Re: 2015 Steelers reminiscent of '88?

Post by BD Sullivan »

If they look absolutely pathetic by November, I'd say yes. I can remember the Browns toying with them at that point during the '88 season and thinking just that. Of course, a few years later, the Steelers started dominating what used to be THE rivalry in the AFC Central.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Good posts. The similarity between '88 and '15 may also be indicative of the way the Rooneys do business. Once they deem a player has surpassed his ability to significantly contribute to the team, they terminate the player's contract or do not give them a new one. We just observed another example not too long ago with Dick LeBeau. The team wanted to move in a different direction.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Mike Webster did play in 1988, but then he was asked to retire. He then signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as an offensive line coach, but then unretired and played two seasons for them.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

After 1983, Terry Bradshaw and Mel Blount retired, but Franco Harris did not and then he signed for the Seattle Seahawks when Curt Warner was injured in 1984. By then he was washed up and I recall that the Steelers had wanted that Franco had retired by then.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

How about Delton Hall? Remember? Sure made some noise in his '87 rookie year, especially opening day - picking off Joe as well as running a fumble back 50 yards for a TD. He sure could HIT! A shame what injuries would do to him the following years. Would have loved to see him still around and healthy for the Cowher Era alongside Woodson & Lake.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I think that Ben Roethlisberger guy is a little better than Bubby Freaking Brister. Also I don't see anyone pulling a Mike Merriweather style holdout so it's hard for to see the correlation. But, should they go 5-11 my face will surely be red.

Post by 26554 »

sluggermatt15 wrote:Good posts. The similarity between '88 and '15 may also be indicative of the way the Rooneys do business. Once they deem a player has surpassed his ability to significantly contribute to the team, they terminate the player's contract or do not give them a new one. We just observed another example not too long ago with Dick LeBeau. The team wanted to move in a different direction.
No different than how other teams operate. In the last few days, there's been reports of:

-NE releasing Vince Wilfolk

-The Ravens releasing Haloti Ngata

-The Colts releasing Reggie Wayne

-The Texans giving Andre Johnson and his agent permission to seek a trade

Of course, it's not usually as simple as a team believing a player to be "finished". In many cases, it's just as much about the player (in some cases because of ego/pride and not because they really have a lot left) being unwilling to stay on in a reduced role and at a reduced salary.

Really, the Steelers are probably more loyal than most. Certainly, they've been more loyal than Belichick and NE.

Post by 26554 »

MatthewToy wrote:I think that Ben Roethlisberger guy is a little better than Bubby Freaking Brister.
And while Merrill Hoge was a fine back, I don't think anyone would say he was as talented as Le'Veon Bell. I will say that as great as Antonio Brown is, a healthy Louis Lipps wasn't too far off.