Semi-Pro Players Who Made It to the NFL

Shipley

Semi-Pro Players Who Made It to the NFL

Post by Shipley »

As the son of a long-time semi-pro football coach, I'm always interested in hearing about players who made the jump from the minors to the NFL. In 1973, he coached the Hagerstown (MD) Bears, a team that included former Jet and Redskin quarterback Harry Theofiledes, as well as two players who graduated to the NFL the following season, guard Conway Hayman (Oilers) and punter Duane Carrell (Jets, Cowboys, Cardinals, Rams). One of their opponents was the Aston (PA) Green Knights, who had WR Vince Papale and DT Joe Klecko on their roster. In typical semi-pro fashion, the Bears folded after the 1973 season after only four seasons as a team. Interested to hear other stories about players who made it to the big time after toiling in the minors.
JohnTurney

Re: Semi-Pro Players Who Made It to the NFL

Post by JohnTurney »

Coy Bacon and Otis Sistrunk are a couple more
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Not really a story, but as a kid I always thought it was awesome to get a Topps card for a player who had some weird "ACFL" stats listed on the back.

oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Invincible is a 2006 sports film directed by Ericson Core set in 1976.
It is based on the true story of Vince Papale, who played for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1976–78.
Mark Wahlberg portrays Papale and Greg Kinnear plays Papale's coach, Dick Vermeil.
The film was released in the United States on August 25, 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(2006_film)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I saw Booth Lusteg kick for the New Bedford Sweepers in the ACFL before he signed with the Buffalo Bills. Another kicker, John Smith, also played in the ACFL (for Everett, maybe?) before he joined the Patriots.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Jack Dolbin played for the Pottstown Firebirds and the Schuylkill Coal Crackers before he made it onto the Broncos. RB Marv Hubbard was on the Hartford Knights before hooking on with the Raiders. And of course there's King Corcoran, made famous in the NFL Films documentary on the Firebirds, who briefly played for the Boston Patriots in 1968. Other Firebirds who played briefly in the NFL include LB Harold Wells (Eagles) and WR Ron Holliday (Chargers). As already mentioned earlier in this thread, Firebird TE Bob Tucker had a long and distinguished career.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Just a handful out of many, off the top of my head:

Bob Kuechenberg and Jeff Van Note both played in the Continental League in 1969 before launching long NFL careers.

Ted Vactor, a defensive back who was outstanding on kick coverage with the Redskins in the 1970s, started out in one of the minor leagues in the late 1960s -- Pro Football League of American, I think.

Another DB with the Redskins, Mike Bass, played in the Continental League in -- 1968, I think.

The Redskins' kicker before Mark Moseley, Curt Knight, started out with the Virginia Sailors in the Atlantic Coast League. I believe he led the NFL in scoring in 1971 or '72.

Dave Manders, who started at center for the Cowboys from about 1965-71, started his career with a season or two in the United Football League.

Going further back, Jack Ferrante played three seasons with the Wilmington Clippers of the American Association before joining the Eagles in 1943 or thereabouts. He was one of the top receivers on their powerhouse teams of the late 1940s.

The quarterback on those Philadelphia teams was Tommy Thompson, who started his professional career in 1939 with the St. Louis Gunners of the AFL.

Much more recently, Sam Mills played a season with a semi-pro team somewhere in New Jersey in 1982 before catching on with Jim Mora's Philadelphia team in the USFL and then making a successful transition to football in the fall.

As I said, there are many more. Those are just the first that came to mind, and I don't want to make the list too long anyway.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Bryan wrote:Not really a story, but as a kid I always thought it was awesome to get a Topps card for a player who had some weird "ACFL" stats listed on the back.

I believe the "Lifetime Totals" line at the bottom of his stats actually includes the ACFL stats, which is, well ... odd.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

rhickok1109 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 pm
"... Another kicker, John Smith, also played in the ACFL (for Everett, maybe?) before he joined the Patriots."

Smith played for the New England Colonials, a team somewhat connected with the Patriots, but I don't remember them playing in Everett? My ex- taught in Everett for 17 years (had Bobby Leo in the 3rd Grade.) They might have played
in the Manning Bowl in Lynn but I don't think there was a facility in Everett other than the HS. I certainly could be wrong
and Marie would not answer me if she knew. Oh well...
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Evan

Post by Evan »

Johnny Unitas's legendary run with the Bloomfield Rams earned him a hallowed spot in the AFA semi-pro Hall of Fame ... with most of the other players mentioned in this thread. Check out this link for more ... http://www.americanfootballassn.com/hall-of-fame.html