25 Semi Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

25 Semi Finalists

Post by JohnTurney »

JuggernautJ

Re: 25 Semi Finalists

Post by JuggernautJ »

I am only seeing half an image (with 13 finalists) above so here are some links discussing all 25:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ss-of-2019

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... zalez-no-1
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Pleasant surprise that Zach Thomas made it this far. Unpleasant surprise to see Tom Flores get this far. Not surprised Hines Ward got this far, but I don’t think he belongs in.

Sorry to see Mike Kenn didn’t make it on this list. That officially ends his regular candidacy, I think. But if Joe Jacoby isn’t getting in, I guess it’s consistent thinking. Karl Mecklenburg did, and it’s his last time, but he’s never made the finalist jump before. We’ll see if he makes it this time or not.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I think we'll see Champ (deserving but overrated), Faneca, Gonzalez and Reed. Not sure on #5 though I fear Lynch due to his recent public profile in the media and the GM will get overrated as a player. Even the awards guys will point to Pro Bowls earned in Denver which were total BS popularity contests.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Pleasant surprise that Zach Thomas made it this far. Unpleasant surprise to see Tom Flores get this far.
Agreed on both of these.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Also just noticed that Torry Holt, Richard Seymour, and Sam Mills (I'd elect them all) got this far, as did Clay Matthews (he's a no for me).
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

NWebster wrote:I think we'll see Champ (deserving but overrated), Faneca, Gonzalez and Reed. Not sure on #5 though I fear Lynch due to his recent public profile in the media and the GM will get overrated as a player. Even the awards guys will point to Pro Bowls earned in Denver which were total BS popularity contests.
Bailey Overrated have you lost your mind
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

rewing84 wrote:
NWebster wrote:I think we'll see Champ (deserving but overrated), Faneca, Gonzalez and Reed. Not sure on #5 though I fear Lynch due to his recent public profile in the media and the GM will get overrated as a player. Even the awards guys will point to Pro Bowls earned in Denver which were total BS popularity contests.
Bailey Overrated have you lost your mind
In 15 seasons he had a top 10 passer rating allowed amongst CB's 3 times (#3 '06, #7 '00, #7 '12) never leading the league or Conference.

In Deion's seasons from '95 on (don't have the early number on the entire league) he was top 10 in 4 of 8 (thins includes the Skins and Ravens years mind you) (#1 '95, #2 '96, #1 '97, #1 '98) and while I don't have the league figure his passer rating allowed in 1994 was 25.7, likely also #1.

But Deion was Deion, so lets go down to the next tier.

In Revis' 9 seasons of having qualifying targets he was top 10 in 3 years (#1, '09, #1 '11, #3 '15).

In Richard Sherman's 7 seasons so far he's top 10 in 5 of 7 seasons (a #1, 2 - #2's, a #6 and a #9)

In Charles Woodson's 15 seasons at CB - not counting S the last 2 in Oakland - he was top 10 in rating allowed in 4 of 15 (a #1, a #4 and 2 - #5's)

And finally, current finalist and non 1st ballot Ty Law in his 15 seasons (same as bailey) was top 10 in rating allowed 4 times (a #1, a #3, and 2 #4's).

So, he's no Deion, obviously. But he's also behind Revis and Sherman already - the former an unlikely first ballot and the latter requiring a couple more good years (he's actually been good when healthy in '18 btw) to be first ballot. He's behind Charles Woodson and behind Ty Law. Of these others listed the only one who was worse in run support was Deion, Sherman and Law are certainly each better.

How have you made up your mind?
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

were seriously demeaning bailey based on passer raiting seriously
JWL

Post by JWL »

rewing84 wrote:were seriously demeaning bailey based on passer raiting seriously

Are you an "eye-test" only type of person?