Another one who "changed the game"

Post by JohnTurney »

I wish they'd explain how. Like hard-hitting safeties didn't exist
before Harris

Gil Brandt
@Gil_Brandt
·
15m
A special happy birthday to Hall of Famer Cliff Harris, one of the greatest undrafted free agents of all time. We were lucky enough to sign him in 1970. He started as a rookie and spent the next decade changing the way free safety was played. 10 years, 6 Pro Bowls, 5 Super Bowls.
SixtiesFan

Re: Another one who "changed the game"

Post by SixtiesFan »

The phrase "changed the game" seems to be used about Dallas Cowboys. The claim has been made there were no wide receivers who caught the long pass for touchdowns before Bob Hayes.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Cloyce Box and Crazylegs Hirsch would beg to differ
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

SixtiesFan wrote:The phrase "changed the game" seems to be used about Dallas Cowboys. The claim has been made there were no wide receivers who caught the long pass for touchdowns before Bob Hayes.
Right? I think AFL guys like Elbert Dubenion and Lance Alworth might argue this one, but there were NFL deep threats long before Hayes came long (Don Hutson, Harlon Hill, anyone?) ... I seem to recall someone starting a list of true "game changers" a while back. Players who were innovative, brought a new approach to a position or by sheer talent forced other teams to innovate to defend them ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:The phrase "changed the game" seems to be used about Dallas Cowboys. The claim has been made there were no wide receivers who caught the long pass for touchdowns before Bob Hayes.
Right? I think AFL guys like Elbert Dubenion and Lance Alworth might argue this one, but there were NFL deep threats long before Hayes came long (Don Hutson, Harlon Hill, anyone?) ... I seem to recall someone starting a list of true "game changers" a while back. Players who were innovative, brought a new approach to a position or by sheer talent forced other teams to innovate to defend them ...
And don't forget Johnny Blood.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Gil Brandt, 2040: "The 2020 Dallas Cowboys revolutionized football by testing the limits of how many QBs a team can use in one season. Truly a game-changing team. How 'bout dem Cowboys!"
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

Seems like the term "changed the game" is sometimes used to justify a player's selection to the HOF.

If a player's selection has to be justified then maybe he shouldn't be there in the first place.