NFL 100 All-Time Team

Rupert Patrick

Re: NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:Just popped into my head 100/22 isn’t the right calculation.

Might be more like 100/16 = 6.25. Would you want 6 punters? Not sure.

QB, HB, FB, WR, TE, G, T, C, DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, S, K, P
Of what you're trying to calculate, if you think of it as a "team", as it purports to be, obviously no pro team has 100 players but that's basically like two teams of 50 players each. If there was two actual teams of 50 you'd have 3 QB's on each team for a total of 6. Though QB being QB, and because in reality if you had 50 players a lot would be on the squad for special teams purposes, if you want to make it 4 per that'd still be 8.

As it is (and if it were two teams of players):
QB: 10 (5 QB's per team)
RB: 12 (6 per)
WR: 10 (5 per)
TE: 5 (2.5 per)
OT: 7 (3.5 per)
OG: 7 (3.5 per)
C: 4 (2 per)
DE: 7 (3.5 per)
DT: 7 (3.5 per)
MLB/ILB: 6 (3 per)
OLB: 6 (3 per)
CB: 7 (3.5 per)
S: 6 (3 per)
K: 2 (1 per)
P: 2 (1 per)
RET: 2 (1 per)
I'm guessing two kickers (Stenerud and Vinatieri, possibly also Groza who was a guard/kicker) and only one punter (Guy). No chance on Blanda.

I think one return guy, and I'm guessing either Hester or they'll go with Sayers, or they might go with both.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I'm guessing two kickers (Stenerud and Vinatieri, possibly also Groza who was a guard/kicker) and only one punter (Guy). No chance on Blanda.

I think one return guy, and I'm guessing either Hester or they'll go with Sayers, or they might go with both.
You don't have to guess. What I posted is literally how many players from each position will be on the 'team' ...
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I like your breakdown - I'm going to fill it out with players - see what I come up with. Once I choose the players to fill up the positions, I really don't have an idea how to order it though.

Edited to add - so this is from the link - those pesky links - maybe I should start reading those.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Once I choose the players to fill up the positions, I really don't have an idea how to order it though
You don't have to put them in order. It's not like a ranking of the Top-100 players, it's a team of 100 players. For example, the only real 'ranking' you have to do it picking your top-10 QB's of "all-time", since there's 10 on the 'team'. You don't then have to put those 10 in any order, they're all then [equally] on the team.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Reaser wrote:
TanksAndSpartans wrote:Once I choose the players to fill up the positions, I really don't have an idea how to order it though
You don't have to put them in order. It's not like a ranking of the Top-100 players, it's a team of 100 players. For example, the only real 'ranking' you have to do it picking your top-10 QB's of "all-time", since there's 10 on the 'team'. You don't then have to put those 10 in any order, they're all then [equally] on the team.
Cool - that makes it much easier - I was thinking it was like the top 100 shows they do.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'll take a stab at this... (in no particular order by position)

QB: 10 - Brady, Montana, Unitas, Manning, Graham, Baugh, Elway, Brees, Starr, Staubach
RB: 12 - Brown, Payton, Sanders, E. Smith, L. Moore, Motley, Van Buren, Nagurski, Tomlinson, Simpson, Perry, Dickerson
WR: 10 - Rice, Hutson, Alworth, Berry, Maynard, Largent, Warfield, Harrison, Moss, Owens
TE: 5 - Ditka, Gonzalez, Winslow, Mackey, Gronk
OT: 7 - L. Allen, R. Brown, Hubbard, W. Jones, Munoz, Ogden, Gregg
OG: 7 - Fortmann, Hannah, Little, Michalske, Shields, Upshaw, Parker
C: 4 - Hein, Webster, Langer, Stephenson
DE: 7 - D. Jones, Marchetti, R. White, B. Smith, W. Davis, Ford, Watt
DT: 7 - Greene, Kennedy, Lilly, Page, Olsen, Nomellini, R, White
MLB/ILB: - Butkus, Lambert, Lanier, Lewis, Singletary, Bednarik
OLB: 6 - Ham, Hendricks, LT, Bell, Seau, Brooks
CB: 7 - Blount, Lane, Woodson, D. Sanders, Adderley, W. Brown, Haynes
S: 6 - Wilson, Lott, Reed, Tunnell, Wood, Houston
K: 2 - Stenerud, Vinatieri
P: 2 - Guy, Lechler
RET: 2 - Hester, Sayers
Last edited by ChrisBabcock on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Missed Gronk, who has exactly 0% chance of getting passed over, especially if there's 5 TE. Marino? Don't see much chance of him missing either. Derrick Brooks was an ILB. I'll try this out tomorrow.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

It would seem sacreligious to not have old #66 from the Packers on such a list, but it looks like we've come that far, huh?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

JeffreyMiller wrote:It would seem sacreligious to not have old #66 from the Packers on such a list, but it looks like we've come that far, huh?
Yeah, he was a "final cut". Possibly due to Packer overload in my line of thinking. Hah. I definitely missed Gronk. Editing original post and swapping him out for Gates.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

JameisLoseston wrote:Missed Gronk, who has exactly 0% chance of getting passed over, especially if there's 5 TE. Marino? Don't see much chance of him missing either. Derrick Brooks was an ILB. I'll try this out tomorrow.
Derrick Brooks was NOT an ILB.