Question - Giants post season 1927

Moran

Re: Question - Giants post season 1927

Post by Moran »

Thanks - great help - both for the references found and for the lack of references to a cohesive Giants squad in the post season. Tut Imlay and Ernie Nevers would have been a big draw in California since they were the respective captains of the rivals Cal and Stanford - here's a picture of Imlay and another of him and Nevers shaking hands before "The Big Game" on Nov. 21, 1925.

luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

Jan 8 I have Yankees playing Bulldogs. Although I could find no game for one Sunday (1/22/1927), the only game I didn't find was a Giants v Friedman's Bulldogs game. Doesn't mean it never happened.

What I can't quite figure out is the following:
On the following pages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy_Indians
http://thislandpress.com/09/12/2012/the ... page_num=4

it states that the Giants on the train trip from St. Louis to Los Angeles, stopped off at Pawhuska, Oklahoma and played and lost to a Hominy Indians team (filled with ringers), and played this game the day after Xmas, Dec. 26, 1927

Now I am unsure you folks can see this page. At the bottom of page is a sizable enough article, not even the one I found yesterday, which specifically states that on Dec. 26, 1927, Ernie Nevers' Giants (which would be the same team that was headed twoards LA from St Louis) had that 70-0 game against the Arbuckle Legion team (which included players from other teams around Sacramento. )This game was played at Santa Rosa. I presume Nevers may have been from there as it was played at Nevers Field
http://newspaperarchive.com/us/californ ... 2&pey=1927

Now also on 12/26, Grange's Yankees (sometimes called The Rangers in some newspapers) beat an All-San Joaquin Valley team 37-0, at Stockton (you can see the report on same page of the Berkeley newspaper linked above). Perhaps all three teams were traveling together on same train. Both the Southern Pacific and the Santa Fe Railroads went both to Los Angeles and up the Valley eventually to San Francisco, passing through Stockton. Probably only the SP went specifically to Santa Rosa (north of Sacramento). The Santa Fe split at Barstow as seen in this map:
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/looking-for ... %20map.jpg

The SP split at Bakersfield. Not sure this means anything as they seemed to have gone north first, not to LA. But from Oklahoma to California, by train, takes about two days. No way, let's say, they could lose to Hominy in the morning and be playing in Santa Rosa that afternoon.

In other words, I have two games played by the same Giants team, on the same day, around a thousand miles apart. With no way that I can figure to check. I can't locate thee Hominy game in any old newspaper which mostly means I have no source to see Oklahoma newspapers from 1927.

If you understand any of this, would anyone have a clue? The old book on the Giants doesn't mention any Western tour at all. Mr. Moran, do you know anything on this?

My guess is, despite all the "facts" on the pages online, the Hominy game must have been played on the 24th or so, not on either 12/25 or 12/26.

I try to be as accurate as possible with my lists, but 1927 now as stands, makes no sense at all...

By the way in one of the newspaper reports found yesterday, it was stated that one of these eastern teams played in the PCPL, which had to be wrong. These games couldn't have been in any coast league standings (none of which I saw, I don't even know if those seasons extended this far into the new year)
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

I am now so confused with these games.
For Giants in early 1928:
1/8 L 6-13 Cleveland Bulldogs at San Francisco
1/15 L 0-7 New York Yankees at Wrigley Field, Los Angeles
1/29 T 13-13 New York Yankees at San Francisco 2,500
On 1/22/2928 Gints v Wildcats at San Francisco was postponed a week (evidently canceled) due to wet grounds. Same day, Yankees beat Bulldogs 9-7 before 11,000 at Wrigley Field in L.A.
Then on 2/5/2918 at USC Stadium, Yankees 13-6 Bulldogs, Bo Molenda starring.

I saw no more Giants games but by February, the baseball team confuses the research. Nevers may have retired by this time

It was odd enough that Benny Friedman was already a Giant but ws heading the "Cleveland" team.
Moran

Post by Moran »

Thanks for those links and further information.

Friedman was not a Giant until 1929 -

I think the confusion may be that they just made up names as they went along - and maybe in the advance pr the name of the team the prominent players were on the previous season got used. I found this clipping in the The Times, (San Mateo, California), 6 January 1928 • Page 6 These seem like pick up games of vagabond football players

Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

What I'd like to know is where that bit about Jack McBride being named the MVP came from? It might just be pregame hype, but it's also possible that some group or some notable sportswriter made the selection, and I don't believe I've ever seen it before.

As for these Nevers and Grange and Friedman teams playing on the West Coast, I wrote an article about the "winter league" of 1927 and '28 for the Coffin Corner a few years ago -- 2009, I think, or maybe late in 2008 -- and it's probably available on this web site. It answers at least some of these questions.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:What I'd like to know is where that bit about Jack McBride being named the MVP came from? It might just be pregame hype, but it's also possible that some group or some notable sportswriter made the selection, and I don't believe I've ever seen it before.
On the old forums I remember when we put together lists of who would/should have been the MVP's from those seasons, including myself a couple of us said McBride for 1927, though I also don't believe that I've ever seen that he was named an actual 'MVP' ...

Not at my desk and that's where I keep Chris Willis' book on Joe Carr (one of my favorite books) I know he wrote that McBride was the NFL's best player in 1927. I had assumed it was educated opinion but after seeing the article (thanks Moran!) perhaps he was noting that McBride was named "MVP" or some type of "player of the year" ... Chris?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:What I'd like to know is where that bit about Jack McBride being named the MVP came from?
I was going over stuff this morning before the Bowl games started and was reminded of this question. Wanted to bring it back up.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

The Buffalo Rangers played a series of games in Pawhuska the year before. Steve Owen was in their lineup ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Moran

Post by Moran »