Ram's owner unveils L.A. Stadium design

nicefellow31

Re: Ram's owner unveils L.A. Stadium design

Post by nicefellow31 »

NWebster wrote:
rockhawk wrote:I like the idea of L.A. being back in the league. But I don't like this stadium design. I think it should be an open-air facility with natural grass. This is Southern California and with the exception of a few games the weather was always perfect.

I'd also like to see only one team move into the market. I think the Raiders are the most logical choice. The Chargers have and can make it work in San Diego. The same can be said for the Rams. However, the Raiders return to Oakland has been a disaster as it was a hasty move to begin with. Since the move they've become one of the NFL's least-valued franchises and more importantly they've become a losing franchise.
I really agree on the open-air idea. As jealous as it makes a Philly guy feel, there was always a glow in my heart in the mid 80's tuning into a game in Jack Murphy, I knew I'd see an Air an Air Coryell shootout, knew I'd see the last game of the weekend (no Sunday night FB then), and knew I'd see sunshine on green grass, something I wouldn't see for a few months yeT. It was great, cali FB should be in the sunlight.
Coach?
You ain't never lied. Growing up in the DC area and watching the sun in San Diego or The Colisieum when the Rams played there warmed the heart of a teenage me during many Decembers.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

nicefellow31 wrote:
NWebster wrote:
rockhawk wrote:I like the idea of L.A. being back in the league. But I don't like this stadium design. I think it should be an open-air facility with natural grass. This is Southern California and with the exception of a few games the weather was always perfect.

I'd also like to see only one team move into the market. I think the Raiders are the most logical choice. The Chargers have and can make it work in San Diego. The same can be said for the Rams. However, the Raiders return to Oakland has been a disaster as it was a hasty move to begin with. Since the move they've become one of the NFL's least-valued franchises and more importantly they've become a losing franchise.
I really agree on the open-air idea. As jealous as it makes a Philly guy feel, there was always a glow in my heart in the mid 80's tuning into a game in Jack Murphy, I knew I'd see an Air an Air Coryell shootout, knew I'd see the last game of the weekend (no Sunday night FB then), and knew I'd see sunshine on green grass, something I wouldn't see for a few months yeT. It was great, cali FB should be in the sunlight.
Coach?
You ain't never lied. Growing up in the DC area and watching the sun in San Diego or The Colisieum when the Rams played there warmed the heart of a teenage me during many Decembers.
I always enjoyed watching the Rams play in the Coliseum on TV. That was part of pro football.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I was thinking the Coliseum may draw attention as a stadium option. I guess not though because there are too many provisions in the master lease, that an NFL team would have to enter, with USC. Don't think a long-term commitment would work playing there, either.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I was thinking the Coliseum may draw attention as a stadium option. I guess not though because there are too many provisions in the master lease, that an NFL team would have to enter, with USC. Don't think a long-term commitment would work playing there, either.
I am convinced that the NFL would never return to the LA Memorial Coliseum (or the Rose Bowl for Super Bowls) and the reason is simple: old stadiums, few skyboxes, few amenities, the stadiums seem dated. It would be like the Packers returned to Lambeau Field as it was 30 years ago.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Teo wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:I was thinking the Coliseum may draw attention as a stadium option. I guess not though because there are too many provisions in the master lease, that an NFL team would have to enter, with USC. Don't think a long-term commitment would work playing there, either.
I am convinced that the NFL would never return to the LA Memorial Coliseum (or the Rose Bowl for Super Bowls) and the reason is simple: old stadiums, few skyboxes, few amenities, the stadiums seem dated. It would be like the Packers returned to Lambeau Field as it was 30 years ago.
That is probably the primary reason, which I completely overlooked. Thank you for pointing that out.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

It would require a yes vote from 3/4 of the league owners.

The cynic in me says that a certain number of owners like having L.A. open as a leveraging tool to get a new stadium at home (the Minneapolis-St. Paul media puppets and many politicians were constantly crying about how the Vikings would just fold the tent and run to L.A. if there was so much as a discussion about stadium financing ... the Wilfs didn't have to lift a finger).
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Ronfitch wrote:It would require a yes vote from 3/4 of the league owners.

The cynic in me says that a certain number of owners like having L.A. open as a leveraging tool to get a new stadium at home (the Minneapolis-St. Paul media puppets and many politicians were constantly crying about how the Vikings would just fold the tent and run to L.A. if there was so much as a discussion about stadium financing ... the Wilfs didn't have to lift a finger).
Yes, they've been doing that for 20 years. Funny how these "new stadiums" don't last long. Soon still another "new stadium" is needed.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Pat Bowlen used the Browns' move to Baltimore to bully Denver into building a new stadium.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Ronfitch wrote:It would require a yes vote from 3/4 of the league owners.

Yes, they've been doing that for 20 years. Funny how these "new stadiums" don't last long. Soon still another "new stadium" is needed.
And what gets me is, these "new stadiums" are highly subsidized by taxpayer dollars, even if the city/area is in opposition. They end up paying for it anyways.