Colts Propose 9-point Play?

luckyshow

Re: Colts Propose 9-point Play?

Post by luckyshow »

I find it odd that football bothers with this. It doesn't affect injuries. The league is successful beyond belief.

Baseball also worries. I hear a caller to a local show, actually a sports reporter calling in. He talks about proposed baseball rule changes/ For many like putting in various clocks, he states that similar has been don in football and basketball. He mentions some other things he says are already in football.

But then one of his complaints is the shift. In this, he seems to not mention football, as , for instance, he worries that someday they will take their best outfielder and keep shifting him from right field to left field in the same inning, maybe twice or more shifting him about.

So here he is against unlimited substitution. He mentions football only when it agrees with him and ignores it about his other complaints.

Really, if they want to shorten the game, stop mentioning World Series games from 1964 that went by in less than 4 hours. Maybe mention how commercial breaks were far shorter then. They have added around 40 minutes length to a regular season baseball game, maybe more. Used to be one minute. Now it may be three. But, of course this complaint about game length is driven by the media, so they won't be touching ads anytime soon.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I'm SO not for this...'9-pt' possibility! I'm also not for changing a thing with the extra-point play! I definitely agree with what some of you in here said years ago about keeping 'automatic' aspects of the game...'automatic'! The only thing I'd not disagree with changing, is in OT allowing each team to have the ball for at least one possession even if the first team scores a TD. And if the team kicking off scores a safety on the very first OT possession, then let the game continue. If the safety-scoring team scores a 7-pt TD, then all is over. But if they miss the extra-point (only up by 8), then give the other team a chance to tie it for the game to continue/now be sudden-death from there. If the safety-scoring team only kicks a FG or doesn't score at all, then let the other team score a TD or kick a FG respectively to win it right there! JMO. Only thing that needs to change with me. And certainly no extra playoff team unless many more expansion teams get added on!
Right there with you. This 9-point play is too much of a stretch for the NFL.... at least right now. 10 years from now? Maybe, depending on the state of the game.

I too agree with granting each team a possession in OT, even if the first team scored a TD. If the second team scores a TD to tie the game, then make the next score win - sudden death. I think allowing this provision would create additional strategy. Say the first team scores a TD and kicks the extra point. They are now up 7. If the second team scores a TD, they have the opportunity to continue the game and make it sudden death by kick the extra point OR the second team could go for two and the win.

On a side note, I am for keeping a safety ending overtime. The other team should not be allowed a possession here because the possibility of scoring a safety on the next possession is very low. e.g. the punting team recording a safety on the punt.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sluggermatt15 wrote: On a side note, I am for keeping a safety ending overtime. The other team should not be allowed a possession here because the possibility of scoring a safety on the next possession is very low. e.g. the punting team recording a safety on the punt.
I would like to know what would've happened with a situation like occurred in a Jets-Bengals at Riverfront Stadium in the mid 80s. Louis Breeden intercepted a pass, but he ran to the endzone due to momentum, and Wesley Walker tackled him for a safety (and I believe in that occassion the Jets won the game by 2 points).
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Teo wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote: On a side note, I am for keeping a safety ending overtime. The other team should not be allowed a possession here because the possibility of scoring a safety on the next possession is very low. e.g. the punting team recording a safety on the punt.
I would like to know what would've happened with a situation like occurred in a Jets-Bengals at Riverfront Stadium in the mid 80s. Louis Breeden intercepted a pass, but he ran to the endzone due to momentum, and Wesley Walker tackled him for a safety (and I believe in that occassion the Jets won the game by 2 points).
The game was 10/6/85 and was won by the Jets 29-20.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

LJP wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:currently LBers can wear 90-99. But not 60-79 . . .
Inactive List - reduce the minimum from 6 to 3, allowing 50 active on gameday. Allows for more depth at positions where you have an existing injury concern and means that fewer starters would need to play on Special Teams. Inactive players get paid anyway, so they may as well be playing.

Practice Squad - any player that is not a Vested Veteran should be eligible.
The current inactive list total is 7 not 6. Teams regularly used the inactive list to "stash" injured players they don't want to place on the Injured Reserve list.

Last year teams were allowed two additional Practice Squad who did not meet the regular qualifications for the Practice Squad (called "Exceptions") in addition to the regular 8 Practice Squad players.